New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Speer in general and 7x57?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I agree with Eldeguello, and Hotcore, the 130 Speer in either flat base or boat tail is about as good a bullet for light game that I have used, bar none...I have used it for plainsgame, deer and antelope and even shot a couple of cow elk and a spike elk with it..It just works...The 145 gr. Speer is a bit tougher and better if you intend to take a rear end shot...I like Speer bullets for light game, but for elk I like tough strong premium bullets like a Nosler.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
does the 130 boat tail hold up as well as the flat base hot core?

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had pretty good luck with the Speer 145gr flat base in a 7x57AI and 284 used those for deer but used the mag tip 160 for elk. I'm shooting some Speer in a 300wsm and they are pretty good so far.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

does the 130 boat tail hold up as well as the flat base hot core?

The Spire Point Boat Tail design does not use the Hot-Cor(molten lead) poured into the jacket. The Hot-Cor method burns off the "jacket forming lubricant" which helps it maintain core-to-jacket integrity. But, it is not "fluxed" to create a Bonded Core such as the Trophy Bonded design.

Th Spire Point Boat Tail uses a regular cold formed Lead core inserted into a Formed Cup. Traces of the forming lube remain inside the jacket and have the potential to allow Core Slippage. It is a very sleek bullet and the profile is similar to a 30cal 165gr SPBT, except smaller.

Depending on the Point-of-Impact Velocity and the specific Point-of-Impact, the Hot-Cor "might" hold together a bit better. And they did for me.

I've used both styles and the SPBT seemed to provide a bit more internal damage, but "sometimes" I could not get Exits on double shoulder shots. Just depended on the distance and size of the Deer.

The only negative thing about the 130gr bullets in the 7mm-08 is there isn't a lot of bullet inserted into the caseneck. I'd never thought about it until a guy I recommended them to pointed it out to me. I went back and pulled on mine and they were "secure" and obviously weren't going to fall out. I never had the 120gr Hot-Cor fall out either.

I don't know if the longer neck of the 7x57 and the typical chambers cut for them would create this "Short Seating" situation or not. Perhaps Mr. Ray will jump back in and address that.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a 7mm-08 to,

It seems that the BC is so close on those two that they should fly about the same.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems that H-414 is definetly the go to powder in the 7x57 with bullets 150gr and less. Currently I am shooting a 150gr Scirocco over lots of H-414, to get about 2900fps.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The only way deer hunting with a 7X57 and Speer hot cores could get any better is if the 7X57 is a bonified Mauser classic and the deer a monster buck. It just dont get any better.. Thats a combination to rival the vaunted 270 Model 70 and remington core locts and either one is outstanding.

Ive been having some good results on deer with BT's latley, but switching back to my tried and true hot cores has been in the back of my mind. They are about the perfect deer bullet IMHO.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have had best accuracy results with Re15 and H4350.

My experiences exactly, but add Dupont 4350 to the mix.

NOTE: which is not interchangable with H4350 on a load for load basis.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote