New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's been too long.............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
.........since I've been on this forum! I'm sure it's been over a year, but I have no idea exactly how long.
Sure is nice to see some familiar names. Digital Dan, Seafire, Hot Core, sure is nice to see y'all again.
Last time I was here, I was on the S/E coast of South Carolina. I've relocated to about 40 miles east of Dallas, Tx. "I'm not from Texas, but I got here as soon as I could."

Nice to see y'all again, guys.

Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Welcome back

Wish you hadn't mentioned Hot Core though, his ego is already big enough!! Big Grin

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Woods. I was beginning to wonder if Anyone remembered me.
Hot core's alright, ya' jes' gotta know him.

See ya'!

Punch

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core who???

Hey Puncher, Welcome back. Rumor has it they have some WHOPPER size Trophy Bucks where you are now. Recently saw on another thread where a guy (who mentioned he had NEVER been in the Southeast) said that our Deer are about the size of Coyotes. Big Grin

Since you've been gone, DD has become our resident Chimera hunting expert.

Gone to Texas huuummm. Sentenced to jail there? Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be durn! Howdy, Hot! Sure is good to hear from you again, buddy.
Yeah, My wife's kin are about an hour east of here. We came out here in April to visit and I fell in love with the area. Went back to Charleston, wrapped up my business, said my good byes, loaded a 24' U-Haul and here I am. Sure is nice out here.
On the way to church coupla' weeks back, we saw a really nice buck, looked like an 8 point sure enough, grazing by the side of the road. Acted like he owned the place.
We got a place out in the country on 2 acres and I got room for a hunnerd yd. range. Sump'm I've always wanted.

Sure is good to hear from you. Keep in touch.

Punch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your own Range! Now that will spoil you for sure. Have you already got your Range Plans going on the computer?

I've managed to live a few places where you could just open the door and let them go and it is always nice.

Had one place where the Crows kept an eye on the back door from close to 300yds off. I didn't believe it at first, but each time I'd ease the door open, they would take off. I finally had to give up and use the front door, then ease around the corner. Big Grin
---

Deer on the way to Church is a sure enough "Temtation" to keep you out chasing them. Hopefully you will meet some other folks that will become friends to hunt with.

How `bout the kin folks property? Big enough to hold their own Deer?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, Hot, I don't need no compooter to plan a range. I gotta 20' X 20' shop next to the house that I'm gonna do my shootin' from. My "plan" is to cut a window into the back of the shop wall and shoot thru that. The property is rectangular and a total of 475' long. The back wall of the shop is about a hunnerd ft. in from the road, so that leaves me over a hunnerd yds. to work with. Gonna git a 9 yd. load of scrap dirt hauled in and dumped at the back of the property and use that for a berm. Ain't nuthin' but pasture behind me an' the ol' boy what owns it says he don' care long as I don't shoot none o' his livestock.
As for huntin', you done fergot. All I hunt is them paper tigers, 'member? Oh, I might take a pot shot at a 'coon or a crow now and then, but it ain't sump'm' I plan on.
The kinfolk is my wife's Moma an' she lives in an apartment. No luck there, but I got all I need right next to my house.

Email me yer house phone number an' I'll give you a ring sometime. Like I said, sure is good to hear from you again.

Punch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puncher:
My "plan" is to cut a window into the back of the shop wall and shoot thru that. Punch

Well I didn't get a mention, but then I haven't been here long.
Always wanted my own range.
But watch out for the Witness or Mormon folks in case they come walking past the window. Smiler
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
woods
i just got back from the lease, been gone for about nine days and have been wondering how your elk hunt went. i'd like to hear some details.

bounty hunter

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bounty hunter:
woods
i just got back from the lease, been gone for about nine days and have been wondering how your elk hunt went. i'd like to hear some details.

bounty hunter

Hey bounty hunter

I did good. Got a 5x5 about 700# on the second day. I glassed him bedded down on a snow covered slope and managed to get a clear shot from a point across the ravine from him. It was 245 yards with some wind but not too much. He was facing away from me and I watched him for 20 - 30 minutes. It was getting late so I went ahead and took the shot since I had a good solid rest and with the 300 win mag shooting 180 gr TSX at 3150 fps zeroed at 200 the drop was only about 2" or so. The first shot went in over the left hind quarter about 3" off the backbone and broke 2 ribs and exited the front of the chest. He jumped up and the second shot went through both front shoulder and he was down. About that time 3 larger 6x6's jumped up and stood there wondering which way to run. They stood for about 10 minutes and then bedded down again!

Anyway didn't get lots of pictures cause I was in a real rush to get him gutted before dark and then hauled out the next, but here's one

Here's the best out of 4 bulls killed on the previous season to mine

The rancher says our lease fees are going up next year!

hijack

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
great job--i wanted to know how the tsx's did and you just about said it. when you can drive a 180 almost the full length of an elk and exit through the chest the bullett is definetly doing it's job. again congrats on a great hunt.

i think i have a pretty good buck picked out if no one else gets him first and i can find him again. it's gonna be fun and a challenge.

B H

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puncher:
I've relocated to about 40 miles east of Dallas, Tx.Puncher

Did you get that place cheap? Last night I saw a crime show on satellite TV that was about a murder 40 Mls out of Dallas. Don't know what direction, but there was plenty of deer wandering around.
JL>

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote