one of us
posted
Powder I have is:
IMR 4350
IMR 4831
H4831
IMR 4064
Varget

Of these which would you choose. And,if you have a 'pet' load for one that works in yours, please let me know.

I'm leaning towards either Varget or 4350.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was living in WV, I decided to give the 154 RN bullet a try. I used RP brass, CCI standard LR primers and 40.5grs of H4895 --a powder that has always pleased me in the 7-08. The results were pretty dramatic. Say what you will about BC and energy, etc. That RN bullet will flat slap a deer on his ass. And out to 300 yards or so, it doesn't give anything away to a spritzer.
My son has used it on a couple of TX deer and a couple of hogs with the same results.
Of the powders your have, I would think that 4064 should work for you and perhaps 4350. I tried some 4350 which proved very accurate but I couldn't get enough in the case for it to do it's best work. I've read that varget is a good powder for the 7-08.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I loaded some 154 interbonds with I4350 some years ago

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add that these are the Hornady SST's. If that makes any difference.

Ted Thorn, do you remember what your load was?

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I keep notes

I will did it up

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even in an ice/sleet storm, I managed to get to the range. Temps were 23 and cloudy with occasional sleet/snow. Light winds that were at my back. I tried the 4064 first and stopped!

I found my load! 3 shot group @ 100 yards printed in a group just over the size of a nickel.

Thanks for the help!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the powders you mention, I suspect most would work fine as they are all pretty close and the all work well in a .308 size case..I like 4064 in my 308s.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck with W760 or H4350 and 150/154's. Glad you found your load so quickly. Sleet/rain are no fun at the range. Frowner

R-WEST

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time" Rush Limbaugh

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"

"never turn on a blow dryer while holding a cat"

"genius has limits, stupidity does not"

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I set up an A-bolt for a friend of mine and it shot impressive little groups with 210M primers, 44gr of W760 and 154gr Hornady's.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have used Varget & H4350 with 154gr Hornady Interlocked bullets in my 7mm08 for 2700 FPS.

Pressure signs are fine & case lasts several reloads without trimming. My lot of cases have been fired 7 times with various loads & are still fine.

Powder charge - start with book loads until you get the velocity with best groups.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Hornady #9 shows

IMR 4064 min 33.7 2300 fps 40.7 max 2700 fps

IMR 4350 min 38.2 2300 fps 45 max 2700 fps

Varget min 33.4 2300 fps 39 max 2600 fps

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote