New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one own a 17 HMR?
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
My local gun store has two of these rifles on their shelf. A Remington semi-auto and a Savage bolt action. I'm considering buying the Savage.

Does anyone have one of these rifles? How do they shoot?

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
My crude-as-they-come Savage shoots like a dream. Limiting factor is the crunchy trigger.

Best hardware store rifle I've ever bought.

Hope the ammo comes down soon.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AL,I hae the NEF single shot and it has realy brought back the fun of rim fire and the ground hogs have dropped like hit with the hammer of Thor

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have the savage no regrets. [Smile]

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Just bought a 17 Hummer in the CZ 452. Phenomenal gun/cartridge! I get 2600 fps and so far groups average .470" at 100 yds! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine 3 weeks ago.Man I wish it would get here!Im dying to try it out.

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger, bought it last summer & love it. It is a tack driver. Constantly shoots from .500 to .750 groups. Did I say if there was very little crosswind. Will vaporize a small varmit or crow at 100 yds. Makes shooting a .22 again very boring.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to reload for.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I have 3 17 HMR`s a Ruger 96/17 a Marlin 17V and a Winchester 9617.The 17 Hummer is my favorite caliber and also my most accurate.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Hummer (size large and small [Wink] )
Just make the price cheaper, and 22LR will be extinct!

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/17 with a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 scope. Accuracy is superb. My buddy has a 50 acre walnut orchard that was overrun with ground squirrels. Did you notice that I said "was"!
Another friend of mine has the same rifle/scope combo, and he and I whacked approx 500 of the little devils this summer. This the most fun I've ever had shooting a rifle. We actually quit shooting the orchard because we wanted to leave enough breeding stock to ensure that we had squirrels to shoot next year!

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote