New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers - Tell me the Differences.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I normally use cci 450s or br4 in my 223's and 6mmbr, but have access to federal 205's and remington 7 1/2. I'm not too low on primers just yet, but was wondering if you guys use any of the above and pros/cons of each. I don't run very hot loads in the 223 but do shoot some warmer loads in the 6mmbr. Accuracy is tops for me, I don't mind giving up fps.

Anyhow, with the shortage and all, just looking for what I should be snatching up if I get the chance. I go thru less than 1k of primers a yr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load a lot of handgun ammo on progressive presses and I have more problems with CCI primers feeding. I try to use Federal than Winchester.
I know this will not help you much until you go to an auto press but someday you might.

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal 205M match primers are the primers of choice for most benchrest shooters. My personal experience is with Remington 71/2 primers.
The Remington primer will take higher pressure than most if not all small rifle primers, the accuracy is excellent and like all Remington primers the ash is easy to remove.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot anything w/ a small rifle primer but RP priemrs rival Fed match for accuracy in my rifles. Federal work well too. The only way to know is buy some & try them in your rifle. Primers do matter. In my 338-06, my best groups are w/ CCIBR, about 1/3 smaller groups than any other brand.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Some time ago there was an article in Handloader about comparisons of 223 loads with different primers. Remington benchrest primers gave the best accuracy.

I've used CCI BR4 and Remington benchrest primers in a 204 Ruger and the Remington primers gave me the best accuracy. I've never tried Federal small rifle primers.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WiNdTeCh
posted Hide Post
I am acctually experimenting on this now with a Cooper .223 1:14 twist 24" barrel, as I have almost every brand of primer, I'm making my control rounds with rem 7 1/2's, and once i find a good load i will be leaving everything the same and just changing primers, and yes I'll be swaping magnum primers in too... so far my control load looks to be a 50 grain Sierra Blitzking, OAL 2.327, 25.5gr of H322, with a rem 7 1/2 primer I'm shooting 4 shot .240-.280 at 100 yards, i'm loading with a Co-Ax press and Redding Comp dies, neck sized only. I'm going to make a thread about this soon...

Cooper .223 - Burris 8-32x50
JR Custom AR-15 - Burris 8-32x50 Mil-dot

Posts: 67 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll wait on my source of 7 1/2 and pass on the federals right now. Ive got enough cci's to hold me over for now, just checking my options.

My pdog rounds are already loaded for this year.

One of Us
Picture of WiNdTeCh
posted Hide Post
My pdog rounds are also loaded... I head out 2nd weekend in june...South Dakota

Cooper .223 - Burris 8-32x50
JR Custom AR-15 - Burris 8-32x50 Mil-dot

Posts: 67 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same for me, but headed to CO instead. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey jb, I've not found one brand of Primer to be more accurate than all other Primers in every Load used in a specific rifle. Sometimes one brand used with a specific Powder just works the best.

So, if you can get Fed Primers, you might want to get a Brick or two.
-----

Hey WiNdTeCh, I understand your Test concept, but you may miss the best Load by not Developing each Load from below when you switch Primers.

Best of luck to you all.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote