New
Find
Notify
Tools

new guy needs help
 Login/Join

<SWAMPFOOT>
posted
ok at the risk of pissing off some of the old timers on this board. i am new to handloading . i have purchased and began reading and studying the abcs of relaoding,speer manual #12 that came w/rockchucker kit,the hogdon data manual #27 and sierra 50 th not here yet but allegedly in the mail.my question being new to this and enjoying life in general and not wanting to blow myself up i have looked up loads for my 280 rem and im looking to load the sierra 150 gr bt spitzer but none of these manuals have this exact bullet listed is it ok to use say the info from a 150 nosler part load in one of the books,starting low that is, because i know the bullets are a little diff. ive even went and looked at 145 gr load again diff from the 150 load i want but spitzer type bullet and do some averaging maybe in the powders. maybe im being to cautious. how do you people decide where to begin w/new bullet and new load not listed in any manuals.im sure the sierra manual will probably have it but its not here yet. please help out a newbie.

i have so far rel 22 powder they were out of the imr 4831 at the time i purchased the powder i will get some next time.
if you have any loads w/bullet and this powder you can tell me, thanks in advance.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
SWAMPFOOT,

Welcome to the forum.

You can go ahead and use any data for any 150 grain bullet, just make sure you start with the starting load, and work up from there.

There are differences between bullets from different makers, just as there are differences in the powder lot and rifles used to develop these loads.

I ma sure you will enjoy reloading and shooting your own ammo.

Best of luck.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67041 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Just to get you started...

RL-22 From 52.0 grains to 56.0 grains Remington 9-1/2 Primer

IMR-4831 From 50.0 grains to 55.7 grains Remington 9-1/2 Primer

H-4831 From 49.1 grains to 58.3 grains Remington 9-1/2 Primer

For more information go to

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<hotdog>
posted
You are most accurately right start all loads at bottom and work up. to hollar for help from sierra call 1-800-223-8799 a bullet tech will give all the help you need. luck hotdog

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Have we really been THAT cranky lately?

You can use data from a "similar" bullet, such as a Nosler Ballistic tip, or Speer hot core. Start low and work up.

Some bullets, X-bullets and solids come to mind, are enough different to warrant a couple of extra grains of backing up.

I used a Nosler part. load for a Barnes X bullet once in my 7 mag, and the starting load almost locked the bolt.

Sobering.

Now that we scared you properly, go and have fun. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<bobshawn>
posted
SWAMPFOOT __

Dutch is right on. The inherently increased bearing surface and/or length of Barnes-X bullets will inflict serious pressure problems compared to the shorter lead core bullets, i.e., increased seating depth and/or increased swaging/friction factors.

Br careful.

Robert

<Reloader66>
posted
When you fire your first group you made yourself, you will never want another factory round. Observe all saftey rules when reloading your cases at all times. Neck sizer dies will increase brass life. Always be sure you keep your brass trimmed to loading manual specs. Seating depth of the bullet is very important for best accuracy. Start with the bullet just touching the lands. deburr flash hole for consistant ignition of powder charge. Record your loads always so you know what your shooting at all times. Save your targets with your best groups and write the load you fired it with on the target. Keep all your loads you use on a regular basis in a note book. Even a young mans memory gets a little cloudy when it comes to remebering what powder used and bullet brand and weight.
Loading blocks or plastic cases that hold 50 to 100 rounds are great when working up loads for a given cartridge.