.444 Marlin Bullet (new ? asked)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
A good bear bullet for a .444 Marlin???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
280 grain swift A frame. clap

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
270 Speer gold dot

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 270 Speer GD impressed me when I tested it in my 44. I shot it into my test medium at close range and it held together VERY well and retained alot of weight. Looked pretty too!

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardcast 300gr WFN with a gascheck.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hardcast 300gr WFN with a gascheck.

Are these suitable for large game like elk & bear?

What brand do you like or do you cast your own?

What powder & charge do you load in yours?

I load these already in mine for shooting hogs behind dogs at close range. I just load thses with 12 gr of Unique.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent dealings w/ Beartooth bullets. If you go to the website, you WILL learn more a/b cast bullets than you ever dreamed.
I talked w/ Marshall Stanton this week when I ordered 416 bullets for my Taylor. He gave me additional info and insight for my loadings and I highly recommend Beartooth.
I've also had good success w/ Leadheads in KS
and Montana bullet works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Are these suitable for large game like elk & bear?

What brand do you like or do you cast your own?

What powder & charge do you load in yours?

I load these already in mine for shooting hogs behind dogs at close range. I just load thses with 12 gr of Unique.

I would not attempt to hunt tough, dangerous game with jacketed pistol bullets. What's suggested will be far more effective.

I don't hunt, and I load BHN 11 cast bullets for my 44 Spec and 44 mag rifle; the rifle's magazine, box type, will not accept 300 gr bullets.

I don't have any .444 Marlin loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 of the 265gr Hornady FP or Beartooth bullets. Someday I'll hit that damned penny!! Big Grin

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the heavy hard-cast in the 444.
I got mine from this gentleman.

chuck williams <chlodama@hotmail.com> Add to Addresses
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey WrongTarget and Frank Martinez, Are you able to use those Lead Bullets with the normal "Trim Length"on the Case? Or did you have to shorten the Case a bit?

That sure is some fine shooting. thumb

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, works fine at normal length in my H&R, dunno about a levergun tho, I've not read a problem with case length for the 355gr BTB bullets, they mention neck turning on 405gr for the .444 tho.

http://www.beartoothbullets.co.../archive_field.htm/7

http://www.beartoothbullets.co...lletselect/index.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes a special bullet for the 444 Marlin.

I think it's the 265 grainer.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
What about the 265grn HDY FTX?

I know several guys that are loving them in their H&R 444s on deer sized critters, but I haven't heard of anyone using them on bigger game.

I'm going to try the 325 FTX in 45-70 for large bodied whitetail this fall(hopefully Smiler ) From the nice bucks I've seen go down with the .458 325grn FTX, the performance has been good so far.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
WrongTarget,
Which BearTooth bullet is that 355 grainer specifically? I like the looks of it and want to try it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey WrongTarget, The OCL has to be 2.57" or less to cycle through a Marlin Lever Action. If you have a chance to measure one of them, I'd be much obliged.
-----

Hey Ledvm, I've seen a lot of Bears Killed with 308Wins using 165gr Hornady Bullets and 358Wins using 200gr Hornady Bullets, but none with the 444Mar.

So, the following is speculation on my part. I would feel well prepared with either a Heavy Hard Cast Lead Bullet, or a 250gr Nosler Partition in my 444Mar, but have not actually tried either of them on a Bear.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My .444 is a Win 94 big bore in the little short version. Can't remember its specific name.

Anyway, its bore .430 not .429 . So I have been shooting the only Hard Cast Lead I could find in .430, a brand I got out of Midway can't remeber name with out going to my gunshop and looking.

I remember now that I did not start off with Bear Tooth cause they were .429 .

How important is it for me to shoot .430 buttlets?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beartooth offers the 355gr sized from .429" to .432"

I stand corrected! I see the drop down box on the web-page offers more than .429 . Thanks for the correction.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't expect Beartooth bullets to arrive real soon, most of my orders have taken a month, sometimes several months depending on what they have in stock at the time, but I always get what I ordered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beartooth will usu tell you an app order time. I tried to order 44 bullets earlier this year and they honestly told me it would be 3-4 months due to their lack of inventory. I spoke w/ the owner this week and he told me he has been cranking out the bullets and my particular order would be based on what he had in stock.
Another GOOD source for cast is Montana Bullet works. The owner took my order for the 44 bullets mentioned above. Nice bullets, but I don't think MTB takes credit cards. I sent him a check.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
ledvm,
I have the same 444 --- the timber carbine winchester big bore. The larger diameter leaders will shoot ok. I always like jacketed bullets for game, just my personal bias Roll Eyes. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks WrongTarget, Looks like some Case Trimming would be needed for them to cycle properly through the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the loads listed on page 13 for the 355gr bullet show a trim length of 2.215" which is the standard length in my books, COL is 2.57", Beartooth did their load work in the 444S.

http://www.loadswap.com/commen...e=Rifle_Data&id=1204

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. Excellent!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Ordered me some 300 gr Beartooths. Want to use H4198 (unless y'all talk me outa it). Anyone have a load or a suggested starting charge for it?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
No one gonna help me out with my starting load question???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
I would contact Beartooth bullets they will help you out with a starting load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez, do we have to load em for ya too!! Big Grin

Try Hodgdon's 300gr jacketed data, they use Rem brass and 9½ primer.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm, If you have never loaded cast, do yourself a favor and go to the Beartooth website. It has a boat load of info. If you still have questions, call Marshall Stanton @ Beartooth. He is a WEALTH of knowledge and easy to talk to.
He WILL have the info you need and much more!
He also has a book that is very informative. And no, I don't have ANY affiliation, association or otherwise w/ Beartooth, I just like doing business w/ good AMERICAN companies.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Sorry to bother wrongtarget.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
No bother, just ribbin ya!! beer

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Ordered me some 300 gr Beartooths. Want to use H4198 (unless y'all talk me outa it). Anyone have a load or a suggested starting charge for it?

444 Marlin
300 grain Beartooth LMN DCG seated to 2.62" and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die
Remington brass
Remington 9 1/2 L primer
40 grains H4198 START
45 grains H4198 MAXIMUM 2200 fps

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote