THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    7mm-08 / 120 gr. Nosler BT's short range terminal performance on deer???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 / 120 gr. Nosler BT's short range terminal performance on deer???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Folks,

I'm setting up a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 for a field hunting rig where shots out to 250yds will be the norm, however, on occasion the deer will pop out in the field at ranges from 35 - 75 yds. I'd like to try a load with the 120 gr. NBT and a stout dose of Varget for this set-up.

I've used my other 7/08 (mod. 7) for quite a while for woods hunting and have it set up as a short range rig useing the now discontinued Hornady 154 gr. RN ontop of 41.2 gr. of Varget, and absolutely love this combo for thick brush eastern whitetails.

While I haven't used the current production 120 gr. NBT's to date, I do understand their heavier construction as opposed to the earlier version of this bullet. But I seldom hear of their terminal performance on deer @ ranges of < 75 yds.

Would some of you folks who've used this bullet in the 7/08 at shorter ranges mind sharing your experiences as to its terminal performance on deer at these distances.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler's recommended maximum impact velocity for the BT is 3000fps per Nosler FAQs.

Tim

http://www.noslerreloading.com...opic.php?f=16&t=1347

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never used them in a 7-08 but have lost count of the deer I have killed with them in a .300 Win. Never had a problem long or short range. Just put it behind the shoulder.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
You might find this thread helpful. Dogzapper is gun writer Steve Timm. The guy loves the 120 NBT.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/....php/topics/214014/1

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of that 24 hour campfire thread and interesting information from actual use.
The thing I really noticed is how the other forum members treat that outdoor writer.
I was pleased to read the respect and interest in his experience.
Why is it on this forum our armchair experts are so quick to tear down experienced shooters, hunters and writers (like Boddington and some other outdoor writers that post here).
The members at 24 seemed to treat him with a seemingly deserved reverence, it was refreshing.
Wish we had the same thing going here.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Agreed. John Barsness (Mule Deer) is always on that site and will answer any question you have.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, appreciate the info.

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 7mm/120 B. Tip in a 7mm STW (yes, at full speed around 3600 fps) on a whitetail buck a few years ago. The deer died, and did so in a manner which was much the same as if he had been shot with any more typically conventional centerfire deer caliber/bullet combination.

While the Ballistic Tip tends to be a somewhat frangible bullet, its Solid Base of jacket material tends to hold enough of it together to penetrate just about any medium game adequately.

Did the deer exhibit considerable trauma? Yes; after all trauma is the only thing that allows gunshots to be lethal. Very few animals die from the report.

Was meat lost? If you consider a four-inch diameter area of bloodshot ribcage as "meat", then yes, meat was "lost".

Did the shot leave a "good blood trail"? Yes, definately! All two steps of it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I had used them in my 7mm-08 about the time they first came out. I dont recall if they were 120's but I did not like the performance. I took a buck at 35yds and the bullet completely blew up. yes, the deer was DRT but the opposite shoulder was completely blood shot. The next year I switched back to Partitions. I think that Nosler has increased the jacket since then but the event has forever ruined my view of them.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neices use 120 sierra's I load for them in their 7/08's. They have worked fine from 40-200 yds. I dont see why the NBT wouldnt do the same.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
My neices use 120 sierra's I load for them in their 7/08's. They have worked fine from 40-200 yds. I dont see why the NBT wouldnt do the same.

I use the Sierras for my kids' rifles and they work.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote