New
Find
Notify
Tools

284 Winchester ideas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I've not been around here in some time but was looking for some information on powder to start loading the 284 Win with 162gr A-Max bullets, I have a long action so seating the bullets long is ok, the barrel will finish at 26" and well the reamer has not hit the blank just yet but I thought I would try to get a jump start on information. Anything would help out fella's even opinions Eeker Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .284 Win is a semi-custom rig made by New Ulatralight Arms. The owner of NULA, Melvin Forbes, says that the powder for the .284 begins and ends with 4350, either IMR or Hodgdon. I have only shot 140 gr bullets: the Nosler partitions, Solid Base, and Ballistic Tips. With these bullets, I've shot several whitetails, an aoudad, and a Wyoming bighorn. IMR4350 will drive these bullets easily to 3000 fps. If you are ever snooping around at a gun show and come upon some obsolete Hodgdon H205 powder, jump on it. It is the best powder in MY .284, and also in my three .30-06s, and in my .338 Win Mag. Why Hodgdon dropped this excellent powder, I can't say for sure.... perhaps it was too easily confused with Norma's 205.

Anyway, grab a pound of 4350 and start working up.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything dawaba said.

But, since you are going to seat the bullet out, I would also reccommend trying H-4831SC. You might be able to get enough into the case to make it worth purchasing a pound.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! everything I have been seeing is saying the exact same thing. I've been hearing some good things about RL17 powder and the 284 but finding some is not an easy task. Well keep the suggestions coming. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL17? Other powders that give good velocity and accuracy in my .284 were RL19 and WW760. These tests were with 140 gr bullets. With your heavier bullets, I'd look hard at IMR4831 too. Still, I bet that 4350 from any manufacturer will likely give you the best accuracy/velocity results. Do you have, or can you borrow, a chronograph? Otherwise, you're loading blind, I believe.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir I have access to a chrony and take crazy stupid anal records! I normally shoot long range with a 243 and tactical with a 308, I would love to shoot the 243 in tactical matches but the guys that shoot would think I was cheating :-) that sucker is just FLAT! I took a deer with the 243 but while I know I can hit them why out there for some reason I am a little leary of the bullet performance, I'm sure it would do fine but in the back of my head I just doubt it enough to not pull the trigger the reason for me going with the 284. Thanks again guys!! Later,

Kirk