Find
Notify
Tools

Maximizing muzzel flash
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted
I want to do some night time video. I'd like a load for a short barrel 44 mag that would give the most impressive muzzel flash. Bullet performance, velocity, accuracy, etc. is of no consequence.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Light bullets and slow powders, IMO.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Slow powder, short barrel.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Lots of H110/W296

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black powder will do what you want.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue dot and a light bullet so you can use lots of it. It is the flashiest handgun powder I have used.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to popular belief, a very fast pistol/shotgun powder with give you the largest muzzle flash.
I was totally amazed when fireforming brass for my 22-250AI with a fast shotgun powder, the muzzle flash was as long as the rifle and about a foot in diameter at the muzzle!
I then tried it in my 375Weatherby, same result!
Tried it in my Rossi 44mag, same result, huge muzzle flash that turned night into day for a split second!
It's not at all good for spotlighting, it takes about 5-7 minutes for your eyes to re-adjust!

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:

Contrary to popular belief, a very fast pistol/shotgun powder with give you the largest muzzle flash. I was totally amazed when fireforming brass for my 22-250AI with a fast shotgun powder-- the muzzle flash was as long as the rifle and about a foot in diameter at the muzzle! I then tried it in my 375Weatherby-- same result! Tried it in my Rossi 44Mag. Same result-- huge muzzle flash that turned night into day for a split second! It's not at all good for spotlighting-- it takes about 5-7 minutes for your eyes to re-adjust!

Sounds like fun! I need to try it. What kind of load for a .223Rem?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:

Contrary to popular belief, a very fast pistol/shotgun powder with give you the largest muzzle flash. I was totally amazed when fireforming brass for my 22-250AI with a fast shotgun powder-- the muzzle flash was as long as the rifle and about a foot in diameter at the muzzle! I then tried it in my 375Weatherby-- same result! Tried it in my Rossi 44Mag. Same result-- huge muzzle flash that turned night into day for a split second! It's not at all good for spotlighting-- it takes about 5-7 minutes for your eyes to re-adjust!

Sounds like fun! I need to try it. What kind of load for a .223Rem?

I would try around 5gr's of Clays/Bullseye/Red Dot and a light 40gr pill, it should also work with a 50gr, if it doesn't get out of the barrel, increase the charge until it does by .2gr increments.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rig says,
quote:
...if it doesn't get out of the barrel...

I assume you speak of the bullet. What do I do if the bullet does not make it out of the barrel?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote