New
Find
Notify
Tools

can someone run Quick-Load on this one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ran into an old shooting/hunting guy today that I haven't seen in a couple of years. Of course talk got around to rifles and it turns out he has a LOT of experience with the 7mm Rem Mag. I told him I was loading 67 grs of IMR4350 under a 140 Ballistic tip and have loaded up to 68 grs.This, in a WW case with a WLRM primer.He looked at me like I had just kicked him in the b***s.WAY too hot he says.Can someone run Quick-Load on this?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The Nosler #5 shows 65 gr as max. My program shows 67.1 gr at 60,000 CUP. Note that 52,000 is max.

Things vary. I had a 7mm Mag that would take hot loads too. The velocity was 50 fps over common sense.

<David>
posted
Just ran Quickload on your loads. The program shows max pressure as 62366 PSI (not CUP).

Your load of 67gr of IMR4350 comes up with 68350 with the 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. 68gr shows 71644 PSI. I'd say these are a bit on the hot side.

I used to shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and 65gr of IMR4350 and 140gr bullets would flatten the primers pretty good, so I backed off to 63gr. Got great groups there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised at the pressures you guys are quoting.However, I haven't any pressure signs in my rifle.David,what velocity did your 65gr load deliver? I have 50 cases,sized,trimmed and primed and a box of 140 Ballistic Tips ready to load but I knew the 67 gr load was pushing it, so I thought I sure should reconsider.Maybe a trip to Wholesale Sports is in order for a can of Rel 22? I hear that this powder is supposed to give good velocity and the pressure will probably be lower. I'd like to stay above 3300 fps if possible.I do have IMR4831 in the cabinet ,I can use that too.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I'm with David...63gr of IMR4350 in my mdl 700 makes one neat hole at 100yds...if i do my part

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What's you OAL? I can run the numbers for you, but only if you tell me the OAL. the BTs are a tad tricky to guess at, as they are usually longer than the norm.

let me know
jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.OAL length is 3.330,which is about .030 off the lands.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rembo, My 7 rem mag with Sierra 140 SPT's over 64.5 grs of Rel 22 gets 3120 fps from a 24" barrel with a SD of 5.2 and < .5 MOA

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote