Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade case cleaning solution
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know a good "homemade" case cleaning solution or are tumblers better than cleaners?

Posts: 6 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Tumblers and solutions are much different in results.

The fastest and best solution for cleaning was advanced by the NRA in the books on Handloading 40 years or so ago. I use it and it works great especially on heavily tarnished brass. You don't get quite the shine that you do from tumblers but it's fast and cheap

From their book. "The cases are soaked for 15 to 20 minutes in a solution of 2 tablespoons salt to the quart of vinegar, shaking or stirring occasionally." They should be drained and rinsed well in running water.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eli,

Dry tumbling is the least messy, and you'll get the best results. I use a Dillon Magnum FL-2000 and dry ground corn cob. I add about 5 tablespoons of Dillon Rapid Polish to the mix. Even the dirtiest, most tarnished cases will come out bright and shining. Corn cob is cheap enough that when it gets dirty I simply toss it. I like nice clean ammo, and this is the cheapest, easiest way I have found to get it. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Eli
Get a tumbler, buy your crushed walnut tumbler medium at pet supply store for dirt cheap for 50 lbs. I use a cup of rubbing alcohol dumped into tumbler to clean and degrease.
The alcohol will help clean the walnut hulls for extended life.
I'm curious if a cup of baking soda might act as a very mild abrasive to help the walnut hulls to polish the brass?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've owned a RCBS sidewinder for many years, which is a good thing as I can't see spending the $240 that midway wants for one now! Just recently got a vibratory but not enough experience with that one yet to give an opinion.

If you don't have a tumbler and money is tight, take a gallon of water, 1/2 cup vinegar, and a squirt of dish soap and swish your brass around in that. To really impress yourself do it to a bunch of really tarnished brass. It works quite well and I'd strongly suggest you at least try it to see if you can live with the results. It also works in about one tenth the time too.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a 50/50 solution of hot water and vinegar with 1 tablespoon salt and squirt of dishwashing solution. Drop em in for about 10-15 minutes.
If i want my cases to look pretty in colour again (look 99% new) i drop them in warm water after rinsing and squirt a few drops of lemon juice in and let the cases stay in for about 1-2 minutes and the colour changes almost instantly. Then i just rinse them well again.

Posts: 8 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to avoid the "salmon pink" color, skip the salt. 25/75 vinagar/hot water, 20-30 minutes stired around now and than. Rinse in more hot water and let dry (spread out in the sun works well).
I do this with grungy range brass before I put into my tumbler.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<raindeer>
posted
After decapping and (neck)sizing I put my brass into a cotton bag, for instance an old pillowsheet, wrap it around so that the brass is covered by some four layers of cloth, making sure the brass can move, but not rattle and then put them in the middle of a pile of trousers or whatever into the washingmachine at a hot programme. (no white or delicate stuff!) They come out clean and shiny like new brass without dents or other damage. It might look strange but it works well for me

posted Hide Post
I got this from a commercial reloader of many years...
First tumble in corn cob media dampened with a mixture of Coleman fuel and Brasso for an hour. Then tumble in dry corn cob media for five or ten minutes. It makes brass much cleaner and shinier than just using dry media.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a solution of hot water, concentrated lemon juice and sunlight dish detergent in a Thumber tumbler. One hour and the dirtiest brass is clean - inside and out.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I got this from a commercial reloader of many years...
First tumble in corn cob media dampened with a mixture of Coleman fuel and Brasso for an hour. Then tumble in dry corn cob media for five or ten minutes. It makes brass much cleaner and shinier than just using dry media.

I do not suggest that Brasso or ANY product containing ammonia be used for case cleaning.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
I do not suggest that Brasso or ANY product containing ammonia be used for case cleaning.

Steve,

I keep reading this on here, but can you point us to any conclusive evidence that Brasso weakens the brass? Has anyone tried something scientific like firing and reloading 50 rounds of brass cleaned in Brasso alongside 50 rounds in the milder stuff? It seems to me that it would take a long time for the Brasso to weaken the brass enough to be a factor, if ever.

I have a buddy who wants me to reload 9mm for him, perhaps I will try doing this, and see how many reloads we can get out of the brass.

F6

-----------------------------------------------------
\ "If I don't step over the line every now /
/ and then, how will I know where it is?" \
-----------------------------------------------------

Posts: 148 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote