THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H4831 and H4831SC performance difference?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a difference in performance between 4831 and 4831SC? I currently use 4831, but it sometimes gets stuck in my powder dispenser or funnel, and I was thinking about changing. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
The SC version is about all I use anymore. Much easier metering, and performance pretty much matches the original long-cut version. The shorter grains of the SC means you can get more of it in the same space, which has worked well for me in at least one application (260 Rem with 140 Speers, where 4831SC is the clear velocity/accuracy champ).

R-WEST

PS - No fair double posting to try to get your post count up [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Little or no difference. No more difference that there is in lot to lot variance.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When one is talking about the modern Hodgdon "Exterme" line of powders, there is no difference.
The older lots I'm not so sure about. This is especially true with the surplus 4831 powder.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have found no difference between H-4831 and H-4831SC any greater than the difference between different lots of the same powder.

According to the people I have talked with at Hodgdon, they are "ballistically" the same.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. I just tried both last week from my 7mm RSAUM. Both were Extreme, different lots, only 15fps average difference between the two. POI was the same.

I'll stick with the Short Cut.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I changed from H4831 to H4831SC for my .308 Norma Mag. because of the better metering of the SC. I noticed no difference in performance.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote