New
Find
Notify
Tools

Competition Seating Die
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to upgrade my seating die. I currently use the die that came with my RCBS 2-die set. It works great and I have been pleased with the results. I am now experimenting with a lot of different bullets and powders and I want a die that is more user friendly and precise. I am thinking the Redding competition-seating die is what I want.

Any input on this die or an alternative would be appreciated. Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Redding competition die for 223, and RCBS comp dies for 243, 6mm, and 308. All seem to work equally well (read, great!). They are just the ticket for experimenting with seating depths. Precise, and repeatable.

I am slowly but surely upgrading all of my seaters to comp versions.

You won't be sorry if you get one. A bit more than a standard seater, but well worth it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it, that the Forster competition seating die is of equivalent quality to the Redding product. That at a somewhat lower cost.

Redding Competition seating dies for cartridges longer then .308 Win, cannot be used in the Forster Co-Ax press - should one fancy one of those...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
C-ROY,
My first set of RCBS dies came home with what was then the brand new model of press called the Rockchucker. I've used RCBS dies up until three years ago. In an effort to get a one hole group with a .222 I bought a Redding competition seating die. The next Redding die was a competition sizing die for the .222. A small side note, when the .222 moved out to a friends house and was replaced by a .223, I found out that replacing the sleeves I could convert the .222 dies to .223 a lot cheaper than price of a new set of dies. The difference in the results achieved with the competition impressed me a bunch. So much in fact the I now have seven other sets of competition dies, including .22-250, .243W, 7mm-08, 7mm RM, .308 W, .270W and the .30-06. Are they worth it? That depends on you. If groups near an inch are good enough, then no they are not. If you want everything you can get, and experiment a lot to get it, yes they are. I've found Sinclair to have the best price for the sets, which also include a Body Die. I've found only one thing wrong with them. They demand that I do my very best to get their best. They make me work, for a lazy man that is almost a crime. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck. [Smile]