New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite .308 loads for semi-auto
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a reliable hunting load for my Browning BAR in .308 WIN.Between 150-180 grains.I will be hunting muley,moose and elk all with this round,all under 200 yards.
I have trouble cycling any soft point rounds thru this rifle because they tend to deform in the mag.Because of the semi auto action I am looking for something less than max load.Any wisdom from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks Turnerhunter.

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoping to use up some existing powder that I have.
IMR 4985 and IMR 4350

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
Try the Interbond from Hornady or the Accubond from Nosler. These have plastic noses with a bonded core. I have used them in my MIA and they function well. Good luck and good shooting! These should work good for Elk etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
turnerhunter
I have used this load in all manner of 308 rifles from bolt to semi-auto. This load has shot good in a Winchester model 100, a H&K91, an FN-FAL, A M1-A, and a 308 Garand.
165 Sierra HPBT, 165 Nosler Partition, or 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, over 39.5gr of IMR 3031.
This load has been super accurate in every 308 I have tried it in. This is a mild load, but I have killed Antelope at long range with it.
I also use the same 39.5gr. of IMR 3031 with !80 Nosler Partions without any pressure problems.The 165 Sierra HPBT feeds very good in all semi-autos. I say very good because I have never had a malfunction when using this bullet.
The 308 is a great hunting ctg.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.Do you have a seating depth preference for the Sierra 165 HPBT or a oal? Turnerhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
turnerhunter
I load the spitzer bullets to an OAL of 2.785.
As long as you stay under 2.80 you should be ok. Factory WW 168gr Ballistic Silver Tips measure 2.792.
Factory Federal 150gr. Ballistic Tips measure 2.790.
The Sierra 165gr HPBT is a blunt bullet [ie it does not have a sharp point] I load it to an OAL of 2.745.
I have not had any problems with Nosler Partitions feeding in any of the semi-autos I have shot them in. Same goes for the Ballistic tips.
If you are having problems try the 165 Sierra HPBT. There is nothing on the nose of that bullet to deform, either while feeding, in the magazine, or in your pocket. I have killed quite a few deer, antelope, and pigs with this bullet. I have never recovered one.
The 39.5gr load is not a hot load and should work good in your Browning. I still got good expansion, and thus good "killing" power on several antelope at around 350 to 375 yards.
I would use a 180 Nosler Partition for elk or bigger in the 308, but for everything else it will be hard to find a better bullet than the Sierra 165 HPBT. Truth be known they would do good on elk to. Sierra will tell you that the 165HPBT is a stouter bullet that the 165 Spitzer.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the Barnes X bullets??..sakofan..No soft point to deform.

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

I use VARGET and Reloader 15 in the 308 Win. Excellent powder for the auto's.

VARGET or RL 15 @ 44.0
180 Nosler Part or Horndy Interbond
If using VARGET use CCI BR2 primers.
If using RL 15 use Fed Match 210GM Primers.
I like Laupa Brass, but Fed GM or WW will work.

COL: 2.79"
For my autos I also like to use RCBS Small Base Dies.

Good loads for Moose, but limit your shots to 250 yards for these big critters, recom.

[ 08-29-2003, 00:50: Message edited by: Alaska Bush Man ]

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote