New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean burning Powder in .45ACP
 Login/Join

<r1dea>
posted
I am loading for E.LLI Pietta cap & ball revolver (Remington pattern) with a Kurst cartridge converter cylinder chambered for .45 ACP. I am using 185 gr SWC & 200 gr Flat nose bullets both cast lead. My powder is SR4756 (left over from shotgun reloading) 5.7 to 7.7 gr behind the 185 gr and 5.3 to 7.3 gr behind the 200gr bullet.
The powder is not burning completely the cases come out of the cylinder with soot on them & I dump unburned powder out of the cases. This is worse with the load at the low end that the max powder loads. Worse than that the gun is spitting unburned powder in my face when I fire.

The gun did not have this problem with factory Wolf & Federal loads or with Cabellas remanufactured ammo.
Is there a better powder to try or should I consider a different primer I am now using CCI300s.

<Dyno>
posted
AA#5 is a powder that has worked well in 45acp for me.

Dyno

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Vihta N320 with 200 grain bullets and it is very clean.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ll second VV N320

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Clays burns fairly clean in my .45.I do'nt have easy access to the vv line.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have excellent results with Unique.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
3 to 3.5 grains of Bullseye!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been a long long time and I don't remember the number of grains but I used to use 231 in my 45ACP. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clays(just plain clays),WSF,and IMR700X have worked well for me in 45ACP. If you are seeing a lot of unburned powder, I believe you might want to look at your bullet crimp. It sounds like you might have too light a crimp for clean burning.

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
Try Win231, you wont find a better powder for the 45ACP with a 185 - 200 grain SWC

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Hodgdon's Titegroup in .45 ACP with 200 gr cast bullets. 4.5 to 5.0 gr. It burns extremely clean, and a little goes a long way - checking your cases visually to be sure should be a habit no matter what powder you're using.

posted Hide Post
have you tried Solo 1000?

Posts: 2 | Location: MI | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
<JTD>
posted
Yes, go with the titegroup. Stay away from older powders like unique.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you can, try a stiff taper crimp. Sometimes this extra resistance helps powder burn more completely. It's what I do to clean up loads using Bullseye and even after switching to W231 I still do it for consistency.

[ 05-14-2003, 05:22: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTD - Stay away from Unique in a .45 ACP? Whatever for? Those are some of my most accurate loads.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JTD>
posted
waksupi, I was only making a reference to the cleanliness of the powder. Titegroup is a much cleaner burning powder than unique. If someone is looking for a clean powder I would go with the titegroup over the unique any day. That's what I thought this thread was about "Clean burning Powder in .45ACP".

[ 05-14-2003, 23:59: Message edited by: JTD ]