New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confusing Information From a Bullet Company
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Read the thread in small cal that talked about so-so information given by a tech @ Hornady. Usually they are pretty good with their tech support but I had a strange one a few years back. I was working up some loads for a 7mm Rem with the then new Interbond bullet. Tried several powders and the best 100 yd groups I could get were in the 2 to 3 inch @ 100 range. Went back to the plain old 154 gr spire pt and the groups were in the 3/4 inch range.Tried some other brands and most grouped under an inch. Hmmmmm doesn't seem to be a problem with the rifle. Even went out and bought some more 154 gr Interbonds with a different batch #. Same old 3 inch groups. So I called Hornady to inquire if they were having issues with some of the Interbonds. First they claimed to have not heard about it. They asked if I would return the problem bullets to them. When I told them I was from Canada they asked me to send them to their Canadian Dist, the Korth Group. They also gave me some info to include with the bullets. I was told they would replace the problem bullets. So I sent the two part boxes (different lots) to them. Never heard a peep from them. Then almost a year later they sent me a box of loaded 270 Win Ammunition ?? Never understood that screw up. I also have never bought another box of Hornady Interbonds either.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Interbonds are something. I never could get them to shoot in anything.You keep hearing about how someone loves them, but I've never met that guy. The same old boring Interlock flat bases always seem to shoot in just about everything.

Too bad, I was cheering for them too. Never got a 7mm or 30 cal shooting well enough to take hunting.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some 130 .277's that shot Okay but nothing stellar. I have a few 150's loaded in the wife's 308 Win and it's the same story... about 1.5' 100 yard groups at best and 2+ at worst. That's good enough for her at her self-imposed maximum ranges.
I don't use them now and won't again even if they were free.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, and I don't hear much about this being done... has anybody taken a good micrometer, measuring in "tenths," and measured their bullets? I was having problems with a couple of batches of "another manufacturer's" 6mm bullets several years ago. I measured them and discovered that they were all .0003" to .0004" undersized. When I called the manufacturer about this, the customer service card flipper told me that this was within "SAAMI spec." I told them that apparently then they hadn't learned much from 100 or so years of jacketed bullet accuracy technology..
Anyway, try measuring them... might be interesting.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H47 I checked my loading records and I don't see any notes reguarding the 7mm interbonds being undersized. Don't have anymore 7mm cal interbonds as I sent what I had to the Hornady dist. I do have some 270 cal and 30 cal and measured them tonight. With my mic that measures to .001 of a millimeter there was no measurable difference between the interbonds and similar interlocks in both calibres. I think there may have been issues with the bonding between core and jacket that resulted in small voids. Don't know for sure and certainly don't care anymore. As already mentioned I wouldn't take any interbonds home if they were giving them away....... well maybe I would take a few to make weights for fishing.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got excellent groups in my .270Win Ferlach with 26" barrel and 150gr Interbonds. 3 shot were cutting one another 100meters. I recovered one bullet from a Kudu and it had a retaining weight of 84% of the original weight. The width of the mushroom was 16.8mm. Nearly triple the original bullet diameter. It was an instant kill. Somehow they got scares some 4 years back and I have changed to Accubonds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading .257 Interbonds in my oldest son’s 250 Savage for 11 years with excellent results. My youngest son’s rifle does not like them at all. I load Accubonds in his.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote