New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Poor Accuracy from bullets" experiment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The post on Barnes X bullets has gotten me thinking, and I have the feeling that with some experimentation one could attain an "accurate enough" hunting load with any bullet. But before I make assumptions about the �X� bullet�s accuracy, I must ask myself the following questions:

1. Will I be using the X bullet for hunting large game, medium-size game, or small game?
2. Will I use the X bullet to shoot targets or for hunting?
3. What type of accuracy is enough for the game I hunt or the targets I shoot?
4. Is factory ammo with the X bullet more accurate than my own handloads, and why?
5. What type of accuracy am I getting with three shots (hunting load) at 100 yards, then at 200?
6. Am I shooting three times or five times at 100 yards, then at 200?
7. Am I cleaning the bore and let it cool before I fire the group?
8. What do I want from a bullet, penetration or expansion first?
9. At what ranges will I fire my rifle, from 10 yards to 300?

I haven�t used Barnes-X bullets with my .338, but I am certain that �hunting� loads with this bullet will be accurate enough for the game I hunt. I hunt moose and bear size animals that offer a large �kill zone,� so 1-1/2� to 2� at 100 yards is plenty for moose-shooting ranges, and plenty for bear-shooting ranges. I have used 230-grain FS bullets with outstanding results (one-shot moose kills) from 100 yards to maybe 300. If I try hard enough at the range I can get two bullets to print within 1/2� from each other at 100 yards (from a clean and cool barrel), and three shots within 1-1/2� without much effort. The only difference I can think of between the X and the FS is that one holds lead at the base. The �without much effort� accuracy is the only one I am interested in, so if I point the rifle at the target and get three shots within 2� at 100 yards without trying hard, that�s plenty accuracy for my type of hunting. I have also found out that �sometimes� a bullet that may not be accurate at 100 yards gets more accurate somewhere around 200. Have you ever experienced that?

Are any of you shooting the following factory ammo, if so, would you please tell us how it works for you on game and targets? Also, let us know what other factory ammo with the X bullet you are using. I believe there should be at least two more companies that use X bullets, but the catalog I use only lists those below.

Federal
.25-06 100-grain XLCX
.270 130-grain XLC
.308 150-grain XLC
.30-06 180-grain XLC
.300WM 180-grain XLC

Weatherby Magnum
.240 90- grain XS
.257 115-grain XS
.270 140-grain XS
.7mm 150-grain XS
.300 180-grain XS
.30-378 180-grain XS
.33-378 225-grain XS
.378 270-grain XS
.340 225-grain XS
.416 350-grain XS
.460 450-grain XS

Do the hunting loads listed above fill the expectations of those who use them to hunt with?

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 04-01-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
I'd say you have it figured out Ray. As I posted on the Barnes-bashing thread, these aren't match bullets. The game that is likely to be taken with them will probably large, and not at extreme ranges. For that, they work great.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ray, in my 300 WSM I'm getting sub-moa groups with 180 gr. XLC's at max-velocity. In a 308 Win carbine I had I also got sub-moa groups with coated and un-coated Barnes X's (165 gr. XBT's and XLCBT's).

I tend to think a lot of guys are using X's that are too light for their particular cartridge/rate-of-twist. You know the types, .300 Mag's with 130 or 150 gr. X's. In my experience, if you stick with the "normal" weights for your barrel/cartridge you can usually get them to shoot with a little powder and seating depth experimentation. Obviously, if your barrel is prone to excessive fouling you'll probably have problems.

Like Gary said they can certainly be coaxed into mo-elk!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used X bullets as I have found other bullets that kill prey dead enough for me while still providing accuracy. I thought one of the supposed attractions of the X bullets was the ability to use a light for calibre bullet at a screaming velocity.
I think the thing about bullets being more accurate at 200yds than at 100yds comes from over driving the things so that at 200yds they have lost enough velocity to become more stable.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I don't think it's a matter of matching "weight" as much as it is a matter of matching barrel twist to bullet bearing area. I have a 30-378 that does not like bullets heavier than 150 grain. I don't know why--it's just the way it is. (It loves 125 nosler ballistic tips--theres a great combo!). Anyhow it likes 150 barnes xbts. I wouldn't sling these at a bear but, you should see the way it dropped a 6x6 elk 2 years ago.

I THINK--it's too bad that barnes doesn't make a sample kit of bullets in all calibers.
Nosler is doing this now with varmit bullets--you get a kit of all varmit sizes for certain calibers. TO ME it wouldn't matter if I used a Barnes 150, 165, 180 or 200 in that 30-378--they'd all kill any non dangerous game here on this continent. They'd all shoot plenty flat. All I care about is that I'd find one to be real accurate.
For what it costs to send bullets by mail $3.95 anywhere in the U.S. we should all be sending each other 20-25 bullets of what we want to try. No sense having tons of bullets sitting around we never use. Everytime I've offered to do this for someone they never take me up on it--after while I feel like a cheapscate.
ANYONE out there want to try something??
I have lot's of barnes, scirrocco's etc on hand.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Don -
quote:
TO ME it wouldn't matter if I used a Barnes 150, 165, 180 or 200 in that 30-378--they'd all kill any non dangerous game here on this continent
I can't imagine too many dangerous game animals feeling very good after one of them from a 30-378 hit it, either.

I'd love to take you up on your offer, but, I don't have any exotic stuff to send you in return. I just have Speer, Hornady, Sierra, etc.., standard stuff Of course, the standards have always worked pretty well for me.

R-WEST

------------------
"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time"
Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote