Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who makes the best neck sizing dies?

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I would use the Redding for a press, and Wilson for hand work if a bushing is available that narrow.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I do like my Lee Deluxe Set with FL and Neck sizing dies. Cheap and effective.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:

That's what I'm using now. I do like them but here's my problem.

I can get two or three groups that measure less than an inch at 100yrds then I'll a shot or two that really opens up. I take care when I'm doing case prep and I weigh every charge to get them exact. I've used Remington and Winchester brass, all the different primers ect. I'm just wondering if there might be in issue with the Lee dies. Confused

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try small pistol primers if you haven't yet.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small Pistol primers, second that!

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:

I have. I normally load 13.0gr lil' gun with a 35, 40, or 45 gr bullet. If I use a small pistol primer, the primers are pierced and I get blow-back. I don't have this problem with small rifle primers. Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use 13 grains of Lil'Gun with a 35 grain V Max and a Rem #1 1/2 primer. No pressure issues whatsoever.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22 HORNET:
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:

That's what I'm using now. I do like them but here's my problem.

I can get two or three groups that measure less than an inch at 100yrds then I'll a shot or two that really opens up. I take care when I'm doing case prep and I weigh every charge to get them exact. I've used Remington and Winchester brass, all the different primers ect. I'm just wondering if there might be in issue with the Lee dies. Confused

Ok, then your doing everything "right", so to speak. A benchrest die made by Forester or Wilson might eliminate some of the flyers. Does the flyer problem occur when using the FL resizing die?

I personally believe that a Hornet that shoots a 1" group at 100 yds is just fine. If it shoots sub 1" groups consistantly at 100 yds, that's a bonus. I'm a 3rd generation Hornet shooter and reloader... Grandpa, Dad, and myself. We all concur that the Hornet has it's limitations due to cartridge design. But for 150 yds on groundhogs, it works like a dream. After all, the Hornet is really just a reloadable .22 Mag.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Wilson seater for my Hornet and a regular Redding neck die. I decided to go that route as I didn't think bushing dies for the Hornet would add much to accuracy. Straight seating is important however.
I do use bushing dies for other calibers though.
FWIW,YMMV,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:

I have. I normally load 13.0gr lil' gun with a 35, 40, or 45 gr bullet. If I use a small pistol primer, the primers are pierced and I get blow-back. I don't have this problem with small rifle primers. Confused

Use short round nosed type bullets if your twist is 16". The longer pointy bullets are harder to stabilize or they have very little bore riding diameter. The 45 Sierra Hornet is ideal.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the Lee Collet die, and I particularly like it for the Hornet. The thin brass of the Hornet makes the Collet die very suited to this caliber.

In addition, I have found the Hornet very susceptible to varying neck tension with resulting flyers. To overcome this problem, a Lee Factory Crimp die is probably better applied to a Hornet than any other caliber I can think of.

Top the whole thing off with a quality seater like the Forster, and you should have a good die setup.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Crimp Die also.
It's the only round I crimp, and it helps Hornet accuracy.
Best powder for my rifle is H-110, followed closely by Lil-Gun, with Fed Small Pistol Primers for both.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

I like the Lee Collet die, and I particularly like it for the Hornet. The thin brass of the Hornet makes the Collet die very suited to this caliber.

In addition, I have found the Hornet very susceptible to varying neck tension with resulting flyers. To overcome this problem, a Lee Factory Crimp die is probably better applied to a Hornet than any other caliber I can think of.

Top the whole thing off with a quality seater like the Forster, and you should have a good die setup.

- mike

I do crimp also with the Lee crimp die. BTW, how much crimp do you put on the neck?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Hornet will never be a .222 and I have to say with the larger bullets that 13gn of Lil Gun sounds like a lot.

I am still using the last of my IMR4227 and havent tried Lil Gun but thats next. I also dont give out loads but with a 45gn bullet I would have thought a load around 11gn would be more like it.

The fastest load often isnt the most accurate and I would rather hit my target a bit slower than miss it at max velocity.

I think the crimp advice is very sound although I havent tried it or found it necessary.

In the chamber of my BRNO (CZ) I also found that the cases need to be trimmed so they dont hang up in the front of the chamber.

I easily get under 1 " at 100 metres and for a Hornets range this is excellent in my book.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing with Lil-Gun is that you can't get too much of it in the Hornet case to cause a pressure problem with 45 grain bullets.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS , REDDING !.

Where was the question about 22 hornet loadings ?.
What a Shit Round to Load or even own !.

A real disappointment as far as accuracy in my experience any way .
22-.250 .222 .223 .221 .17 .204 any one of them hands down superior in every way !. salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.K--Except for the fun factor. BTW, I reload for two Hornets--a CZ 527 which has hard time shooting over 1/2 MOA, and a Martini Model 12 which is consistant at 3/4 MOA. Try it, you'll like it!
Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting and reloading the >22 Hornet for 40 years, using Herter, Redding, and RCBS dies, and I've found little or no difference between any of them. Main factor seems to be cleanliness and bullets. I've settled on the "plain old" Sierra .224 Hornet bullet in my current Anschutz, although I found that the .223 Hornet bullets worked best in the old M322 Stevens and M340 Savages I started out with. I've found that a good Hornet was a one inch rifle at 100 yards, sometimes a little better, and yes, it is a super .22 WRM when you get down to it. On the other hand, I've also found that the Anschutz has made the best practice/training rifle for use when working myself up for deer season/safari time. Also, has anyone mentioned that the Hornet is CHEAP to reload?
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
Dr.K--Except for the fun factor. BTW, I reload for two Hornets--a CZ 527 which has hard time shooting over 1/2 MOA, and a Martini Model 12 which is consistant at 3/4 MOA. Try it, you'll like it!
Pete

Pete,

I just brought a CZ527 home with me this afternoon. Ordered some dies and brass. Also ordered some 35g V-max bullets because they looked good to me.

I have a GH population that needs to be kept at bay at ranges to 110 yards or so around the house and barns. Bought the rifle to do that.

What bullets do you shoot in your CZ?

Thanks
Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fun for some is misery for others .

Still wouldn't ever buy another weapon chambered in that caliber . Have all the fun you can muster.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fitch:
I use the 35 grain V-Max in both my loadings. I only use 9.5 grains of Lil'Gun in the Martini and the previously mentioned 13 grains in the 527. Small pistol primers (Rem 1 1/2) in both. You are going to love that rifle!
Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. K is just a rabble rouser. I've been a Hornet person ever since 1967, Savage 340s and finally an Anschutz. Have used Herters, RCBS, and Redding dies, still have them all, and frankly I cannot see much difference. If I can keep all my shots inside an inch at 100 yards, who cares? The little Hornet is running out of steam at 150 yards anyway, and there's nothing to gain in trying to make it into a .222 or .223, the case isn't so big. I think the Hornet is best as an enjoyable center fire round that snaps down woodchucks, rabbits, and ground squirrels at reasonable ranges. Shot and killed 13 woodchucks in a farmer's field one day with my Savage 340, all at ranges under 100 yards. The best day of woodchuck hunting I ever had.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
Fitch:
I use the 35 grain V-Max in both my loadings. I only use 9.5 grains of Lil'Gun in the Martini and the previously mentioned 13 grains in the 527. Small pistol primers (Rem 1 1/2) in both. You are going to love that rifle!
Pete

Thanks Pete,

You are right about loving the rifle!

The dies, brass, and bullets aren't here yet so I picked up a box of Hornady factory ammo from my favorite gun store (which happens to be between the range and home) and continued on to the range to get it "on paper", make sure all was properly functioning after the normal new gun disassembly, cleaning and trigger adjustment, chronograph the Hornady ammo to get some sort of reference, and get a first impression about how it shoots.

25 rounds later I'm loving any rifle that can shoot occasional 1/2" groups like that with factory ammo that has a 135fps extreme spread. I was not whelmed by the ammunition but I sure do like how the rifle shoots.

Do you know if there is a torque setting for the action screws? I haven't been able to find one so I torqued them to 30 in-lbs as a place to start. It seems to work well enough, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The CZ has a 3-9x40mm Bushnell 3200 Elite on it. My first, ever, $200.00 scope. It made the Simmons on my Savage .243 seem like looking through frosted glass.

I can hardly wait for the reloading stuff to get here.

I took the brush hog to the "ground hog field" last night so I'll be able to see them instead of just the grass wiggling. I'll set up my bench in the back of the horse trailer for some shade. Ranges to holes are from 40 to about 140 yards. This is going to be some serious fun.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Couldn't help after reading this old post to bring it back up. I am shooting a Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet, topped with Leupold 6.5-20x40 scope. I am using Redding dies,13gr. Lil-Gun powder and CCI BR-4 Primers. In this gun I have tried many bullets but, my most accurate is the Sierra 40gr. BlitzKing, followed very closely with the 35gr. V-Max. With the Sierra's I am getting consistant .300 +or- grps. at 100yds. Groundhogs to 230yds. have been easy targets with my longest tbis spring at 255yds. As much as I simply love my Rem. 222, I find myself carrying the 22 Hornet the most.

Posts: 14 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 September 2008Reply With Quote