Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diff. btwn short and long body die
 Login/Join

posted
I am placing an order for a Redding Body Die in 30-06, but they sell it in a short and long version. Can anyone tell me the difference. I plan on using it in combination with a Lee Neck Collet Die. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Long or short?? Confused. Redding sells some of their Body Dies in a "small base" version (see this page: Redding Body Dies) as opposed to the regular Body Die. But I have never run into "long and short"??

Unless you have a special chamber, you are likely to be fine with the regular Body Die. No need to get the small base version - if that was your question??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks MHO, you are right I meant to say "regular Body Dies vs. Small base version. It is hard to get an answer when you don't take the time to ask the right question. I don't know what a small base version is for, but if the regular body die is all I need for typical reloading I will go with that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noise maker:
Thanks MHO, you are right I meant to say "regular Body Dies vs. Small base version. It is hard to get an answer when you don't take the time to ask the right question. I don't know what a small base version is for, but if the regular body die is all I need for typical reloading I will go with that.
"What a small version is for"???

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small base dies are intended for chambers that are cut smaller than SAAMI spec. They are quite common on the BR circuit - unless people go to custom dies. I doubt they'll be the thing to use for most factory chambers.

The less you work your brass, the longer it will last. So the trick is to get a (FL or Body) sizing die that will set back your shoulder JUST enough, but no more. "Just enough" is typically taken to mean about 0.001". This will allow you to chamber the case with just the slightest hint of resistance, yet still give you an excellent case to chamber fit, which is good for accuracy. You can measure your hedspace with a Stoney Point headspace gauge, or you cn adjust your FL (or Body) die to allow cases to chamber with just the slightest hint of resistance. This procedure is also known as "partial FL sizing", and is preferred by many handloaders.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote