Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby mag advice?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted
Just ordered the dies wanted to know if anyone has a favorite powder bullet combo for the 300 Wthby mag? Will the same powders used for a 300 win mag accurate load be a good place to start? I know each rifle is an individual and they like diffrent things but just wondering what some others are using. Thanks in advance

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
E-mail me if I can help with some Info.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Find and old copy of the "weatherby Guide," usually available through the Collectors association of said rifle or on Ebay. In the back are some of the best loads for the 300. Admitedly they are over 20 years old, so some of the new powders won't be there. The best part however is it provide a "factory equivalent load" using Norma MRP powder which is what they use in their factory loads. I've tried them and they DO duplicate factory at least insofar as shooting to the same POI. A word of caution though. Use only Hornady or Nosler Partition bullets as those were the only two bullets available to them back then. If you use others, back off on the MRP and work up as ususal. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 84.5 grains of IMR-7828 behind a Nosler Partition, started by a Fed. 215 Magnum primer. I seat the load out to where it just fits in the magazine and I get 3/4" groups and 3220 fps. I cannot remember the exact COAL right now.
Doug

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
With what bullet weight, Doug?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7828 works great with all weights from 150-200. I think itwas made for the weatherby calibers!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, 180 grain partition.
Doug

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 7828 and Hornady 180 Interlocts in my Weatherby 300 and got 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 200 yards. Plenty good enough for me. Velocity was around 3100+ as I remember.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
200 grain bullets 80gr 7828 for around 3000. Tried RL25 but got pretty eratic fps, I probably need to play with it some more.

Posts: 49 | Location: Jeanerette, LA | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried any number of powders in 300 Weatherby rifles but keep coming back to RL 22 with 180 grain bullets and RL 25 with 200 grain bullets. H 4831 and IMR 7828 are a couple of powders a guy should try if the Reloder powders do not give the performance desired in your particular rifle.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't have one anymore, but when I did it liked IMR 7828 under 180 and 200 gr. Nosler Partitions. It also liked Federal 215 and CCI mag primers. I don't remember the charge weight. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

7828 works great with all weights from 150-200. I think itwas made for the weatherby calibers!!!

I've read that it literally WAS made for the 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote