Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to the sport, Advice Needed
 Login/Join

posted
I am getting ready to start reloading but I don't know which gun powders to begin with.

I am going to be reloading for a Ruger M77 .270 Win with a 22" standard barrel and a Remington .300 Ultra Mag with a 26" standard barrel. I have had success with the factory loaded Scirocco's (130gr-.270 & 180-.300) from Remington and want to continue using those bullets.

Any Suggestions

Posts: 1 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you even begin to think about reloading, get yourself one or two reliable reloading manuals, study them and then select powders and the appropriate tools. Hodgdon, Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, etc. all offer excellent reloading manuals that are directed to both beginners and "veterans."

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Step 1 is to buy a couple of good manuals.
Step 2 is to read them thourghly.
Step 3 is to follow there recogmendations.
Step 4 is to start low and work up slow.
Remember that Max = Max for good reasons.

I like manuals that were prepaired by the maker of the bullet I'm using, and I've found that Noslers recogmendations for powder type and charge wt. have worked out very well for me.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long ago Jack O'Connor found that H 4831 was just right for the .270. Not much new has happened since.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Actually, something "new" has happened since then...it's called Reloder 22.

Reloder 22 is one of my two favorite .270 Win. powders...right alongside H-4831.

RSY
[Big Grin]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dazed & Confused:
I have had success with the factory loaded Scirocco's (130gr-.270 & 180-.300) from Remington and want to continue using those bullets.

Any Suggestions

Hey D&C, I completely agree with the folks that said get a couple of Component Manufacturers Manuals - first. Read them a couple of times and most of your D&C situation will abate.

I normally recommend the Speer and Hodgdon Manuals because they are well written. If you intend to use other "components"(like the Swift Scirocco), then get their Manuals also. You can't have too many Manuals.

Concerning the Sciroccos, though they are excellent bullets, they are quite expensive. So, do the majority of your shooting with less expensive bullets and use the Sciroccos for your last few practice sessions and to hunt with.

If you practice a lot inside 300yds, then you can use the cheapest bullets made. If you practice mostly beyond 300yds, then select a less expensive bullet with a "similar Ballistic Coefficient" and have at it.

But, you do need to practice with the bullet you will eventually hunt with. Switch to the Sciroccos 2-3 Range trips prior to Hunting Season to create your own unique "Drop Chart" for the distances you intend to take actual shots at Game and practice with them then.

The Load you develop for the Sciroccos "best accuracy" will normally be slightly different than the Load for the other bullets you use. That is just the way it works. Always Develop Loads specific to each bullet you will be using.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1badassmagnum>
posted
most master reloading kits come with a manual,the rock chucker kit from midway for $229 would be great for a newbie.you can run through a few cases without charging them to get an idea how everything works,watch as the dies bell the moth,practice seating primers,practice adjusting the powder throws,see how many turns is needed to change them.the reading of the manual is a requirement,but actually doing each process you will be of better understanding how everything works.I started on the same kit last year and since then I added the piggyback 3,for faster handloading.its a great addition to the whole shooting sport in general,and allows much more time at the range.