Find
Notify
Tools

Re: SOLID BASE BULLETS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted
The Nosler 2nd's I have shot,shoot as well as the 1st's,Haven't tried them on game yet.
On the Soild Base from what I've read will only be offered in 2nd's.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like the 2nds should work just fine. Better do an expansion test on newspaper to get an idea just to be safe

Posts: 6 | Location: Portland | Registered: 05 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me what thay like about the solid base bullets versus the ballistic tips? Aren't they the same except for the lead versus plastic tips? Thanks!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
That's what Nosler told me way back "when" they started putting the polymer tips on them. They said it was the same bullet but with a plastic tip.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Yes, they did say that, in fact, I have a box of old B-Tips that say "Solid Base Ballistic Tip" on them, but, the bullets are totally different. The B-Tip is basically a hollow point, with that polymer cap on the tip, which is one of the reasons there are so many complaints about too-rapid expansion. I prefer doctrine to theory, but, the theory is that, upon impact, the air trapped between the polymer cap and the beginning of the lead core initiates expansion at a much quicker rate, and, based on the expansion tests I've seen, I believe it. The SB has a full lead tip, no hollow point.

There's been speculation that the base and jacket of the SB's are thicker than the equivalent weight B-Tip, but, until I, or somebody else, get a chance to compare sections of a "new" SB, an "original" one, and the equivalent weight B-Tip, that's all it is. Hopefully, I can get around to it before the holidays, and will post results.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote