New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which/Best Digital Reloading Scale?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was set to buy the RCBS Rangemaster 750 but I am reading mixed reviews about it.

What are you guys using?? I would like to hear your opinions.

I do not need the electronic powder measure/scales for the amount of ammo I will load. For my purposes I only need an ACCURATE digital scale and will use it with a powder trickler. I will spend up to 200 bucks.

Thanks

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the Hornady 1500GS is best avoided, their Lock-N-Load scale is somewhat better, but I’m not extremely happy with it either. I’ve had one quit completely; it was replaced under warranty, both Lock-N-Load scales suffered from what I refer to as wandering. With a load sitting on the pan, the weight reading wanders around a bit, no more than a tenth or two, but enough to make me question it.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have had a RCBS for 5 years...works great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that they are made in China now....wonder if this is true?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an ancient (early '90s) Lyman and it still works just fine.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:

Is there anything NOT made is China these days?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a RCBS 750 the other day. Set it up and could see that it would be difficult to use my trickler. Thought about it for a while and asked myself WHY do I need a digital scale when my old trusty RCBS 505 worked so well over the years. Oh well I figured I'd give the new digital scale a try. After all, I needed to up-grade some of my reloading stuff and be a little more "modern". So I continued to unpack my new scale then spotted the words MADE IN CHINA on the side of the carton. I packed it back up ever so neatly and returned it to my dealer. I explained to my dealer that I am so sorry to have returned my purchase and will always by products from him that are NOT Made in China. I'm now VERY happy to give new life to that old MADE IN USA, RCBS 505.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS since day one when they offered them many years ago. No issues.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJWinWA:
both Lock-N-Load scales suffered from what I refer to as wandering. With a load sitting on the pan, the weight reading wanders around a bit, no more than a tenth or two, but enough to make me question it.

I've seen the same thing happen with laboratory balances. They could "wander" up to .1 g (~1.5 gr) if several people were moving near them. Asked the Professor about this, he said it is normal. The balances were so accurate, that the change in air pressure from the people moving would register as weight on the pan.

He said they had ordered ones with new barometric technology to account for this. I was graduated since then, but I wonder how they worked.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a RCBS 502 and 750 Range master. They are both dead on. It helps to let the 750 warm up before calibrating it.

Posts: 34 | Location: Magnolia, AR | Registered: 01 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had an RCBS Chargemaster since they first came out and it has been great. Had a power surge a few weeks ago and RCBS sent me a new transformer no charge. Unfortunately the scale itself was also destabilized so I replaced it with the Chargemaster Combo. That is the best reloading investment I have ever made. As fast as you can seat a bullet and put the round in the box, the next charge is ready to dump.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The RCBS that was made in the US was done so by PACT for RCBS. You can still get new PACT scales made in the US.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh Boy...what a can of worms.

So is there a scale made in USA which is similar to the RCBS Rangemaster 750??

I have to admit that the Made In China thing does bother me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thought about it for a while and asked myself WHY do I need a digital scale when my old trusty RCBS 505 worked so well over the years.

Exactly!

A balance beam scale is much more dependable, and in many instances faster to use. It is unaffected by static electricity, barometric pressure, voltage spikes, RF interference, or the user's bad breath.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was set to buy the RCBS Rangemaster 750 but I am reading mixed reviews about it.

What are you guys using?? I would like to hear your opinions.

I do not need the electronic powder measure/scales for the amount of ammo I will load. For my purposes I only need an ACCURATE digital scale and will use it with a powder trickler. I will spend up to 200 bucks.

Thanks

I use one of these from Dillon Precision http://www.dillonprecision.com...tor_Electronic_Scale

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I inherited a RCBS Partner (made by Pact) from a friend. I also have the 2nd generation Dillion scale.
They are both stable if used where the air is still and there is no static from a carpet.

Why anyone thinks he can buy US made electronics these days I don't know.
Chinese workers are paid about $.50/hour.
Most of the designing is done in the west but manufacturing is done somewhere else.

Huge disclaimer here

I NEVER use an electronic scale for weighing individual powder charges.
They are used only for weighing bullets and brass.
Why weigh bullets - I used them to sort cast bullets by weight.
I sort large lots of brass (100 to 500 pieces of rifle brass) by weight and put similar weight cases in the the same sub lot.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Thought about it for a while and asked myself WHY do I need a digital scale when my old trusty RCBS 505 worked so well over the years.

Exactly!

A balance beam scale is much more dependable, and in many instances faster to use. It is unaffected by static electricity, barometric pressure, voltage spikes, RF interference, or the user's bad breath.

Agree.

But you still must be careful. I have an RCBS 304 scale which I believe is no longer made.

But I have to be careful of air currents, and I once heard about someone whose balance beam scale read incorrectly because an insect was sitting out-of-sight on the balance beam. You also must be sure that the weights have fallen completely into their slots (trust me . . . this can be a problem).

Irrespective of what variety of scale you use, verify it's accuracy with check-weights.

Most of the time, I do so after every 15 - 20 rounds. When I'm using a powder measure, I do the same thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway has the 750 on sale for $104 so i am ordering it today

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Been using the RCBS 1500 Combo a few years and no problems. Let it warm up, use check weights and calibrate. Never leaved plugged in.

I hope never to go back to a scale, only in an emergency! If it ever gives up the ghost will place an immediate order for another . . . unless the next bestest greatest invention comes along before then Cool

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use the RCBS Chargemaster and I really like it.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
RCBS Chargemaster. +1

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
I've had an RCBS Chargemaster since they first came out and it has been great. Had a power surge a few weeks ago and RCBS sent me a new transformer no charge. Unfortunately the scale itself was also destabilized so I replaced it with the Chargemaster Combo. That is the best reloading investment I have ever made. As fast as you can seat a bullet and put the round in the box, the next charge is ready to dump.

Amen!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Another happy RCBS Chargemaster user here.
It rarely throws anything but the dialled in load & when it does it beeps to let me know.
It's an unfortunate fact of life that pretty much anything electronic is made in the PRC these days, though the gradual increase in exchange rates IS beginning to reintroduce some domestic manufacturing industries.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a very old (original?) RCBS digital scale (500 gr. cap.) and has worked well for many years. It does have some long term drift but the way I use it that isn't an issue. I periodically check it with a set of standard weights and it has never been off or needed adjustment. Sartorius has taken over Denver Instruments, which were supposed to be good; they are fairly expensive.
C.G.B.