Find
Notify
Tools

About Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted
Hello guys, after many time I'm back in my favorite forum..
Overthere, some days ago I have a discussion with a friend about how important can be brass in reloading. Ofcourse if we load for target competitions we must to use all strategy to have the best result possible.
But when we load ammo for hunting use is so important to weigh and select per weight our brass??
I need to say that normal controll of every components are even important. As ex. misuring lengh and trim all to the right misure...
In fact when we have a load that shot constantly under one MOA without to select brass, is necessary to search something better??? And how much better can be a load if we select brass???
Thanks to all
Faina stir

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people go to the extent of weighting every piece of brass and grouping them into lots by weight. For hunting ammo I don't see the need.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct when you say all things must be tried if you are competition shooting. For game hunting, not so much, the animal does not care if the bullet strikes it 1/2 inch away from the point of aim! If the bullet is well placed within the kill area, the animal will be dead. Having said that, the smaller the animal the more precise we must be with shot placement. Have a great day.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faina:
"***In fact when we have a load that shot constantly under one MOA without to select brass, is necessary to search something better??? And how much better can be a load if we select brass???
Thanks to all"
Faina stir

coffeeIf what you are doing is giving you MOA you do not have to go any farther for normal hunting. If you're doing chamois at 1000 meters, well that's a horse of a diferent color. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the fun, at least for me, is getting a hunting rig to shoot .5 5 shot groups!!! Makes you shoot which makes the guy behind the trigger that much better. fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for both. I don't understand why I would do less than my best for either.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I do not weigh brass because it is a waste of time. The weight of the case has nothing/nada to do with the actual Volume of the case which determines the pressure curve all things being equal.

Spend my time sorting bullets by the actual bearing surface area and loading concentric ammo (hunting and competition). Also, doing all of this prep work is pretty much a waste of time in a factory rifle because it is not capable of taking advantage of this consistency.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your opinion.
Ofcourse this talk is for mid range hunting, up to 400 y... At long distance we need to load the best we can do using rifle that can shot really accurate.

Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faina:
...if we load for target competitions we must to use all strategy to have the best result possible.
But when we load ammo for hunting use is so important to weigh and select per weight our brass?? ...
Hey Faina, In my opinion, Hunting Loads are far FAR more important than any Load associated with poking holes in paper.

So, I do everything possible to make my Hunting Loads the most "consistent" from Cartridge to Cartridge that I can. That includes Weight Sorting Cases. It is "my time", so I use it as I desire. For those that choose other methods, that is fine with me, because it has no effect on "my" Loads.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote