New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in need of some loads for a 308 with 150 accubonds. What powder and primer combo did you get the best results with if you have used this bullet is what I'm looking for.
I'm gonna be loading them for a friends rig and he is only going to be shooting out to around 300 to 350 max

#2 I also need any loads that anyone may have for a .243 with 90 grain scirrocco's. Same deal as above what powder and primer yielded the best results?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noting your signature I would suggest at least one reloading manual in which you will undoubtably find the answer to you questions.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several manuals but I wanted to eliminate some of the work if possible.
I found a load for the 90 grain scirrocco over on reloaders nest but didn't see the 150 accubond there and they are not in the nosler manual. I have been using BT data for the accubonds but wanted other opinions as well!

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith told me years ago that if the reloading manual had a load for a 150gr jacketed bullet it didn't matter what brand it was the manual went by weight. He said this was true for all of the calibers and jacketed bullet weights not to be confused with cast bullets. If this is acually true I couldn't say but it is what I was told.

BTW he was a bench rest shooter and one heck of a gunsmith.

I don't remember shooting anything heavier than 60gr & 63gr bullets in my .234 Remington I used to have.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There is some truth to that but it can get you in trouble, too. Two bullets can have the same weight but very different shapes resulting in a significant difference in friction in the bore due to bearing surface differences. That can have an affect on pressures. The novice might not catch the difference between conventional X bullets and lead core, either.

It's true to an extent but like most things, proper procedure is to reduce the data and work up.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7Rumloader:
I'm in need of some loads for a 308 with 150 accubonds. What powder and primer combo did you get the best results with if you have used this bullet is what I'm looking for.
I'm gonna be loading them for a friends rig and he is only going to be shooting out to around 300 to 350 max

Thanks in advance for the help!

I just shot some 150gr. Sierra BTs with various amounts of RE15 and Rem. 9 1/2 primers, 45.5grs. was the most accurate and gave me a .964" 3 shot group out of a Rem 308 "Classic" stocked, stainless/synthetic 24" barrel. Velocity should be right around 2800fps.
Another powder to try might be Varget, 47grs. being the max. Powders in this burn range seem to give the best velocity/accuracy combo. That being said, I've also used IMR4064 and H4895, and got pretty decent results with both. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote