Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x54R basic brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Does anyone make a basic ( straight wall, unformed ) brass for this case?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.45-70 is close, a bit larger, and available in basic brass.

Could not find exactly what you asked for.

My best advice is to ask a smaller manufacturer of they would sell you some. Peterson here in the US would be my first call.

I am curious, what do you want to do with it?

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I would like to make cases for my 405 Grenadier without thinning the necks too much.

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never heard of such a thing and since there is zero demand for it, no one will ever make it. Pick another donor brass.
And yes, some of the small brass makers will do it if you order ten K pieces.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are one or more 9mm or 9.3mm variants, looks like Lapua makes one. Might be a better foundation for you if basic cannot be sourced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Yes, another interesting read, I've read pretty much everything on the subject put out by Grenadier.
I have used Grenadiers 405G reamer to cut the chamber in my Siamese Mauser, I am now looking at doing an improved version with a shorter neck but my concern is excessive thinning of the brass at the neck/shoulder area resulting in case separation ( hence the search for straight basic brass )
Let me state up front, there is no problem with the " standard " 405G,not much is still standing after being hit by the 300 grainer and penetration with the 400gr Woodies is phenomenal, but being a tinkerer by nature, I would like to try and get 2000 to 2050 fps out of my 24" barrel with a 400gr bullet.....maybe a pipe dream but we all have them!

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine gaining anything from improving the original. But anyway why not try the available brass first and see how long it will last.
I don't foresee any difference in longevity of a shorter neck. Not the first time someone has made shoulders out of neck meat.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is 7.62x54R brass hard to come by in OZ ?

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
No, brass availability is not the problem. My reasoning is monetary, if after I pay the cost of the improved reamer, cut the chamber and refit the barrel, I find that standard brass keeps separating, I would have to go back and re-cut the chamber with the " standard " reamer, shorten and rethread the barrel, and hopefully not have to replace the barrel.....remember that the case is going from 30 to 41 cal. in the neck/shoulder area.

....basically I want to move the shoulder up to where the neck was.

Roger