New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Collets, neck sizing and lever guns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to get a set of dies to load .35 Remington for my Marlin 336. I'm new to reloading and doing a lot of reading first. I see a lot of good press about Lee Collet dies and as I understand it collet dies are neck sizing dies. Lee offers both FL dies (Pacesetter) and Collet dies for the .35 Rem. On the same page they don't recommend neck sizing for cartridges to be used in levers and pumps. I have read that elswhere and also read that hunting loads, too, should be full sized.

What's the reasoning behind these recommendations?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recommendation to full-length size is to make sure the cartridges will chamber easily.

posted Hide Post
They also recommend you crimp the case to the bullet in lever action rifles because of the tube magazines . The bullets when seated wont have enough tension to keep them from pushing back into the cases when they are stacked inside the magazine.
I would only FL size using a Lever action.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice guys.

As an aside I ordered a set of Lee Dies for my .303 Savage, they are full length but have no crimping die. These should be OK since the gun uses a rotary magazine, correct?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They should be OK if it is the Lee full length sizer set.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load my .35/336 with the Lee collet neck sizer and have no troubles at all. Accuracy is great too, consistantly shoots five into a vertical group 1/2" wide by 1 1/4" high. I think I could get the vertical down IF I exceed the book limits of 39/4064 just a little for my 200 gr. bullets but I won't do that, don't need more speed nor accuracy than that load gives.

Anyway, the velocity is about 2050 fps and the pressure to too low to expand the web so repeated neck sizing works just fine. (I do test chamber each round before taking to the woods to confirm that they will go in smoothly.)

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
I load my .35/336 with the Lee collet neck sizer and have no troubles at all. Accuracy is great too, consistantly shoots five into a vertical group 1/2" wide by 1 1/4" high. I think I could get the vertical down IF I exceed the book limits of 39/4064 just a little for my 200 gr. bullets but I won't do that, don't need more speed nor accuracy than that load gives.

Anyway, the velocity is about 2050 fps and the pressure to too low to expand the web so repeated neck sizing works just fine. (I do test chamber each round before taking to the woods to confirm that they will go in smoothly.)

The low operating pressure of the 35 Rem is lending you a hand. You could get a case stuck if you ever get a bargain on once fired brass fired in another rifle.
I am inclined to be happy with loads that show very little pressure ring expansion since 35 Remington brass is getting harder to find. I have more than one 35 Rem rifle and a Contender Super 14.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
I am inclined to be happy with loads that show very little pressure ring expansion since 35 Remington brass is getting harder to find. I have more than one 35 Rem rifle and a Contender Super 14.

I can't imagine they'd stop loading for it since Marlin still chambers it but who knows, should I be stocking up now?

I guess so, I just looked and Midway doesn't list it at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
... I ordered a set of Lee Dies for my .303 Savage, they are full length but have no crimping die. These should be OK since the gun uses a rotary magazine, correct?
Unless Richard Lee has done something different than all other Die manufacturers, the Seating Die can be adjusted to do a Roll Crimp. You do need to make sure all the Cases are the same length(Trim).

The Seating and Roll Crimp can be done in one Step. But most of us find it is best to do it in two Steps. Adjust the Seating Stem to Seat the Bullet properly. Then screw it way up into the Die and readjust the Die to do the Roll Crimp.

There is a small learning curve on the Crimping. If you under-crimp, the mouth of the Case is still straight. If you over-crimp, the Roll is very severe and you can "buckle the Case"(bulge it out) and then the Case won't chamber.

On the few rifle Cartridges that I do "Crimp", I ALWAYS use a Bullet with a Cannelure(mostly Hornady) and Seat the Bullet so the Top of the Cannelure is just barely visible. Then adjust the Die to Roll Crimp into the Cannelure.

Great old cartridge. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't imagine they'd stop loading for it since Marlin still chambers it but who knows, should I be stocking up now?

Remington .35 Rem. brass seems to show up now and then. They may have shifted it to once a year runs. Winchester just discontinued .375 H&H and .458 Win. I have not seen Winchester brand .35 Rem around lately although they still make .32-40,.38-55. .358 and .348 on a once a year basis.