Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sweetooth
posted
Forgive me for posting this here but the muzzleloading forum is kinda stagnant in comparison but I also feel this forum is more appropriate for the question anyway. Also forgive me if this has been covered.

Im wondering if any of you have ever turned down your own solid bullets to be used in sabots for your muzzleloader. It would seem to me that using a sabot you could use any material you wanted to, copper, brass, aluminum, steel, whatever. I know that not knowing the pressures produced might be what rules something like this out all together but I would think as long as the ones you make are lighter and no longer than ones used in published loads they should be ok, right? I would also think that there could be some stabilization issues too. Im a machinist and have access to do this and am wondering if anyones done it and what your experience is both in manufacture and in shooting at targets and game. Im not just bent on doing this but it would seem if you could safely do it and had access to a cnc lathe you could make em cheaper than buying them. Thanks for any response.

Posts: 28 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote