New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older "protected point" Nosler Partitions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a box of these in 308 150 grain. Black box, no pressure relieving grooves. Are they good to go???

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
They still sell some Nosler Partition protected point bullets but I'm not sure I've ever seen any Partitions with a "pressure groove"?
Barnes and GMX's have a series of grooves on them.
If it were me I would load and shoot them without hesitation.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Cannelure is what the name of that ring is. Meant to provide a place for the mouth of the case to be crimped into.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would have thought cannelure too but he said"pressure relieving grooves" I picture multiple like a Barnes.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Early (aka 1st gen) partitions were of reduced diameter right at the partition between upper and lower sections. I always assumed the length of this section matched the thickness of the partition, but don't know for certain.

I still have some in .277 130 gr.

I do not know if this was a manufacturing expedient, or whether reduced bearing surface was a consideration.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the original Nosler Partitions had a rebated "belt" on the jacket between the ogive and the lower body of about .10" or so and possibly about bore diameter or a tad less. I was never sure what this little rebated section was about, but I've heard that the jackets were "machine turned", so it apparently had something to do with the manufacturing process. Later, Nosler switched from the slower and more expensive machined jacket to a double-extruded jacket which left the partition in the middle with a thicker lower half and a tapered upper half jacket.

I always had good performance from the original Partitions (as well as the current ones), both in terms of accuracy and terminal performance. So sure, go right ahead and shoot the old ones -- they acted just like the newer ones for me.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Learned something today! Thanks!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have been more clear. Early Partitions have a series of pressure relieving micro groves just below the center partition. These bullets are not that old, but are old Partitions.
My question is, are these older "protected points" good to go or did Nosler abandon them for a reason?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early 1960's ???

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would load them and shoot them as I stated before and I am neither brave nor foolish just practical.
If it tickles your whimsy look up vintage load data for them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
I should have been more clear. Early Partitions have a series of pressure relieving micro groves just below the center partition. These bullets are not that old, but are old Partitions.
My question is, are these older "protected points" good to go or did Nosler abandon them for a reason?

Perry

Only a very few of the older Partitions used the multiple small grooves -- this was also a feature of the short-lived Nosler Zippedo, which was Nosler's first Solid Base bullet.

I never used any of the very limited number of Partitions with this feature, but used a number of the Zippedos and they were outstandingly accurate.

IIRC, the few Partitions with this feature were primarily designed for the then-new .300 Winchester. The reason was because the regular Partition of the day had its "rebate belt" exactly where the .300 Win needed to seat to meet its OAL for standard magazines at 3.35" or so, making it incompatible with the .300 Win. So Nosler redesigned its .30 caliber line to include a bullet or bullets which properly seated in the .300 Win Mag.

Here's a scan of the Nosler line in the 1968 edition of Shooter's Bible. See if the one labled ".300 Win" is like yours.

The only reason I can think of NOT to shoot them is that some people collect old Noslers and might pay you enough to buy whatever you want in the way of new Noslers if you sold them.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have seen some partitions that had sharp grooves cut in the blank space reported above. I believe these were initially tried to provide firm hoiding of the projectile in short necked cases such as 300 Win Mag.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
The old Nosler bullets with multiple circular grooves were, I believe, called Nosler Zipedo's. I don't think they were Partitions but conventional cup-and-core bullets. The ones I've used were mostly in calibers smaller than 7mm.
The early Partitions had a single, long (@3/8") relief groove in them over the partition part. This was to relieve any pressure spikes due to the hardness of the partition.
Also, the early Partition's were not a true "H" shape; ie, the partition did not extend all the way from side to side but was interrupted in the middle with a narrow gap.
I forget the year the change was made to a "gapless" full "H" but it was written up in Handloader magazine and was a big deal.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The old Nosler bullets with multiple circular grooves were, I believe, called Nosler Zipedo's. I don't think they were Partitions but conventional cup-and-core bullets. The ones I've used were mostly in calibers smaller than 7mm.

The Zippedos were neither Partitions nor conventional cup-and-core. They were made only in .243 and .224 and had a thick solid base of jacket material (they were the forerunners of the Nosler Solid Base bullets, which eventually had a poly tip added and became the Ballistic Tip line.)

As illustrated in my previous post, Nosler did adopt the multiple annular rings used on the Zippedos to certain of its Partitions, largely for the purpose of keeping the mouth of the case from terminating over the annular rebate over the partition.

The original Partitions had a tiny hole in the middle of the partition which connected the lead of the rear and front portions with a very small column of lead.