Find
Notify
Tools

Varget in 22-250 Compressed??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
I have been loading 39.5 grains of Varget under a 40 grain BT to use with my new Savage 12BVSS in 22-250. I also have a load which calls for 41.2 grains of Varget. Either my scale is way off or that is not compressed but overloaded. I am at 41 grains and some powder falls out every time I drop a charge. Is this just me or is my scale completely screwed?

I have even seen a load calling for 42 grains? Something has to give. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
check your scale by weighing bullets of several weights.....and check it on "0"...

If it checks allright and you've starterd low and worked up you should have no special problem...BTW my book shows 38.4 grains as max...

I've got loads for the .270 that I double compress...load half the load, compress, load the second half of the load and compress by stuffing in a bullet....it works fine.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have not used Varget but with H380 I am just shy of the neck at 40gr and have loaded as high as 42 with out it being any more than a compressed load. I do realize that it is a different powder but it does'nt seem right to me. Like Vapodog said make sure you start your scale by zeroing it. I shoot the new Barnes Varminator bullets 40gr and love them! Maybe you want to give them a try, they shoot .5" five shot groups out of my Savage 12fv. Good Luck!

Posts: 7 | Location: Alberta , Canada | Registered: 16 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a considerable variation in case capacities between brands. It was not something I measured but Rem and Win cases got mixed together when I was loading. I don't remember the charge but in one brand of brass the powder charge looked to be at the base of the neck, in the other the neck was full. I reweighed each cases charge and they were spot-on. The brand of brass was different. SO I sorted out the couple oddball cases from the batch and used only one headstamp. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdons manual recomends a maximum load of 39.5 Varget with a 40grn. projectile. If you have a load that calls for 42grns. be careful. You say that something has to give (It might be your action).
Frank

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Further to my previous post I get best results with Varget (AR2208 here in Oz) 37grns with 40grn V-Max and can shoot .35inch groups consistantly.

Frank

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I get a reasonable figure weighing bullets (maybe two tenths variation) and the scale zeros. I'll just assume this Remington brass, which is new, just has a bit less capacity than some.

Thanks Frank, I'll not do more than the 40 grains I've loaded and will sure try the 37 grain load.

Vapodog..............ya gotta love the handle )!

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am useing 38gr varget and 40gr v-max and it the powder
comes up to the base of the shoulder I am useing winchester cases, any thing over 38 gr makes the bolt on my kimber sticky
hysider

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Just shy of the neck w/40gr" using H380 is about right with the R-P brass (I load 42.0gr just fine). The R-P brass in the cartridges I load does have less capacity then WW. This produces more velocity w/less powder (the military brass effect, etc.).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Play with both the win and rem cases. I don't remember which has the greater capacity for the 22-250 (it is different for the different calibers by the way), but my rifle likes win better than rem for MY PARTICULAR pet load. Doesn't cost a whole lot more to mess with that variable. Also, I have a friend that uses norma in his 22-250, and he says the case capacity is greater for it than the rem and win cases. Can anyone back this statement up? Don't take my word on that, but if your going for accuracy and want to spend the cash it may be worth it. He also says the case weight varied very little (variation was much less than a grain from case to case).

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote