New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conserve or Keep Shooting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I happened across a pretty good deal on a Nosler rifle in 6.5x284. As I started load development I found it was time to crack another brick of primers. I thought that was odd, since it seems I just started loading out of the last one so I started going through the log book. between myself and the 4 kids, we went through over 1000 standard large rifle and 600 magnum large rifle rounds this year! That may not be a lot for many of you, but for what seemed like a year of fewer range opportunities and no p-dog adventures I was pleasantly surprised. It caused me to wonder, with powder and primer shortages, were most of you cutting back on your practice/recreational shooting or just letting fly? The practice paid off and we only had one animal that needed more shooting due to misjudged wind deflection, but even that one would have stayed down for the count had we given it a half hour instead of pushing it. My kids have turned into pretty good shooters.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Keep shooting. I really like my practice time with rifle and hand guns. I loaded 4000rounds 38, 45 and 357 last year I am down too about 4 boxes each. I had enough rifle ammo to make it through hunting this year.
I can not imagine how many rounds I would have gone through if my sons were still home shooting.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It seems like supplies have been loosening up. I am now seeing powder, primers and bullets on shelves where there were NONE!

I'd say keep your eyes peeled for supplies and keep shooting.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Keep shooting; there is, and never was, any shortage due to production; any shortage at the retail level is due to hoarding. I have "friends" who bought up all the primers they could find, and now have tens of thousands of them; I tell them I can't wait for their estate sale.
Our local gun shop has a plethora of powder and primers so things are easing up.
Until the next crisis the dems want to exploit for political gain.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
doesn't help to hoard components if you can't hit what you're shooting at

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have your cake and eat it, too.

I put more Pb downrange this year than in the prior three. But most of it was .22LR. .223 made up the next largest category. I doubt I fired more than 60 rds through my game rifles last year. No matter.

We're individuals, so no argument with someone who finds .22rf not a good substitute. For me it works perfectly.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KEEP SHOOTING! I really don't want to leave anyone else the burden of disposing with my reloads. :-)

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I got a pound of Unique tonight.... Christmas has been good to me!! Keep Shooting!!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One man's 'hoarding' is another man's 'stocking up'. Depends upon whose ox is being gored.....

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope, it is easy to tell the difference; if one is buying supplies that he knows he will never shoot, that is hoarding. I see it around here.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have "friends" who bought up all the primers they could find, and now have tens of thousands of them; I tell them I can't wait for their estate sale.

A widow with several closets full of incendiaries is always very easy to deal with.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote