Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spreading groups
 Login/Join

posted
I got a ruger 44 mag redhawk 4" barrel, its fairly new.I can shoot 2 or 3 rounds pretty good, then the gun shoots pretty bad. I always thought it was me, but I started to narrow down why I was having a problem finding a good load for this gun. After some time shooting this gun I notice that a my first 2 or 3 shots , gun being cold, I can hit the target pretty good,however the gun really opens up after that. Anybody experience anything like this?

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming these are factory loads.
Maybe the recoil is getting to you. Try shooting one shot set gun down for a moment, shoot the next, repeat.
Option two
Put five fired cases in the cyclinder, with one live round, spin cyclinder and lock it up for firing. Now fire the piece and see what you are doing.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was grouping badly with my 44 until I realized that I was pulling the gun to the side when I pulled the trigger. I shoot it right handed, so when I squeezed the trigger I was pulling the gun down and to the right. I practiced having a more relaxed grip, and concentrated on just moving my trigger finger not my whole hand when firing. I have a 22 revolver that is similar, I practiced with that quite a bit.

I have a 5 1/2 barrel, the 4" would be even more unforgiving.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I dont know if its the recoil. It just seems funny to me how the group will spread after a few shots. Has anyone experience this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Joel, Arkypete had some good suggestions.

Yes, I know I have had w-i-d-e groups when I first begin getting back in practice.

In addition to Arkypete's suggestions you might want to try:
3. Try some Down Loads and see if it still does it.
4. Hang 6 separate Targets, index the Cylinder so you know which Chamber is at the top and shoot each Chamber on a separate Target. Repeat this using the same Targets for 5-6 Cylinder fulls and see if there is a Group Shift associated with the Cylinder being used.
5. Have someone else shoot it and see if it does the same thing with him as it does with you.
6. If you are not shooting across a Rest of some type, use a tool box or something with a folded up towel between it and the Revolver. Be careful about the Gas escaping around the cylinder, because it can flame-cut "you".
7. Using a "Brass Bore Brush", wrap a Patch around it, put some JB Compound, Flitz or regular old Whitening Toothpaste on the Patch and spin it in the mouth of each Cylinder for 30sec or so. It won't hurt anything and may knock loose something you can't see.
8. Trim all cases to the same length and try a Box of 240gr Sierra SP Bullets and H110 or WW-296, with Magnum Pistol Primers.
9. I can't remember if that Revolver comes with Rubber or Wood grips. If Wood, try a set of Hogues.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote