New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 Grain Sierra .224
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a bunch of 80g Sierra match bullets on hand from my HP rifle comp days, used them @ 600yard line in the DMC AR's they had a 1-8 twist. I have a Rem PSS LTR in 223 with a 1-9 twist barrel, will it stabilize these bullets? If it will thinking about loading some up just at subsonic level and running them through the Gem Tech Smiler

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat,

I think you are looking at marginal results at best... If you can horsetrade them for some 75 grain Hornadys or something like that.. or 69 grain Match bullets.... then you are looking good!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Seafire's assessment. You may get semi-decent results at 100 yards, but as the range increases, the lack of stability will rear its ugly head.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the second time I've read this in the last two days. I agree it probably won't be much good, and I think the low velosity will make things worse.

But I understood things to be that IF it came out of the barrel stable (apart from the settling in period) , then it would remain stable at longer ranges, because the spin will stay up longer than the velosity??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found about 50rnds already loaded from the comp. days I'll try them and repost the results, of course they'll all be supersonic but it will be interesting all the same. I have a bunch of the 69g sierra's too, we used them from the 200 and 300 yard line and have shot them subsonic before but they don't work well as far as terminal ballistics goes, pretty much like a FMJ at 1000-1100 fps. Need to find some fairly heavy 60+ grain bullets that are really poorly built so they will expand at subsonic speeds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to making time to punch paper with the 80g sierra's in my 1-9 twist Rem. They shot great at 100 printed a center to center .5 inch 5 shot group. At 300 it was a different story, its stringing them vertically with about a 3" group. Must not be stabilizing them quite enough but still good enough to shoot critters with out to 250 or so, either that or just some trigger time till the rest of the loads are gone. Thanks again for the add vice.