New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy in rain?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just throwing this out there for discussion seeing how it's that time of year that it seems to rain every 45 minutes. OK, so it's got to stop snowing and warm up to rain, but you get the idea.

How much will a light rain affect the bullet while working up loads at normal 200yd ranges?

Can I get close enough to find a tweaker?

I could see a downpour degrading results, but, just curious of other's experience in light rain/drizzle.

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read a post a while back where a guy said he gets his best accuracy in light rain or drizzle.

This winter I shot two of my best groups at 300 yds with a 300 wby in light snow.....no wind whatsoever. I could barely see the 3" orange dot but boy did the gun lay them in there.

I will be interested in other posts on this idea. It's darn hard to get calm weather right now in Wiscsonsin.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jennerwein
posted Hide Post
I have archived a whole bunch of old targets with the best groups I shot with a particular load or rifle. When I look at them, many are warped because of the rain. I also remember that in Camp Perry some of the best results were shot on rainy days. Wind is much worse than rain.

Posts: 53 | Location: Marin County, CA | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot some of my best groups ever in inclement weather - cold, light snow, drizzle, etc.

My theory is that the barrel had a chance to cool more consistently, thus producing more accurate groups.

It also seems to help a bit that on these kind of days there is no one else at the range firing off their loudenboomer in my ear.

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard a couple of theories on this first of which I can believe the second, I'm not so sure.

1) The air disturbance caused by the bullet pushes rain drops out of the path of the bullet and they become a non issue.

2) Statistically, save for a major rain, the chances of a rain drop meeting a bullet on its flight path are extreemly low.

I do know when it's misty the lack of wind is a good thing for shooting, and agree that the cooler air help your barrel. Who knows, something else to worry aboutSmiler

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I've never tried shooting in the rain, except hunting of course.

I do have a small theory of WHY we, or our rifles, shoot better in the wet.

--Perhaps the moisture in the air increases our perception of the wind. Whereby, the same wind on a dry day would be felt LESS, if at all.

Meh, what do I know, i'm just a dumb hillbilly Wink

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote