Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headspace
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 1895 Winchester made in 1927. I have just started shooting this rifle. Before I did anything I took it to a gunsmith and had him check it out. I have used this gunsmith for years and he is very good at his job. He said it was good there was/is no head space problems. Now, Here is the reloading question. It seems that when I shoot factor loads in this rifle the primers look like ones do when you have head soace probelms- back out, enlarged fireing pin indention ect. I am starting to handload more and was think if I do have a head space probelm, can I neck size the cartridge and maybe get rid of the "extra" head space?
?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ragland1969:
I have a 1895 Winchester made in 1927. I have just started shooting this rifle. Before I did anything I took it to a gunsmith and had him check it out. I have used this gunsmith for years and he is very good at his job. He said it was good there was/is no head space problems. Now, Here is the reloading question. It seems that when I shoot factor loads in this rifle the primers look like ones do when you have head soace probelms- back out, enlarged fireing pin indention ect. I am starting to handload more and was think if I do have a head space probelm, can I neck size the cartridge and maybe get rid of the "extra" head space?
?

What cartridge? If it is rimmed I believe it headspaces on the rim Wink

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It depends on the case. If it headspaces on the shoulder you can take up extra headspace. I often have a backed out primer on new brass with low pressure loads. The case is shoved forward but doesn't have enough pressure to expand back to the bolt face. Since your case doesn't fill the chamber now even neck sizing won't help until the case fills the chamber.

If you have a concern. Take a case neck it up and then neck it back down forming a false shoulder that gives you a crush fit. You might have to play a little to insure smooth chambering.

If your case headspaces on a rim with no shoulder I doubt reloading will help.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The gun is a .30-06

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey ragland

Typically a 30-06 case will expand to fill in approx. 85% of the headspace on the first firing. It will depend upon the strength of the reload and what headspace you have on the new brass. Over the next 2 or 3 firings the headspace will be reduced until the case shoulder will contact the chamber shoulder and you will have a "crush fit".

Until you develop the crush fit you can neck size only. After the crush fit you should push the shoulder back a very small amount (.001" to .002") for Partial Full Length Reszing which will eliminate the crush fit and keep resizing to a minimum for longer case life.

As far as the primers backing out then you may have a lot of headspace on new cases but that will go away after the first firing.

I would recommend neck sizing only and see if you have the primer problem after the second firing. I'll bet you won't.

It depends upon your chamber dimensions but typically the 30-06 will have .010" or so headspace on new cases while the belted magnum will have a much greater headspace like .025" or so.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems strange to me. Since when would a factory 30/06 be "underloaded." I've been told by a very distinguished AR member (Stonecreek), that a factory load actually usually looks like an overload with a flattned primer. ie the case catches up with the primer and mashers it back into the case. The only symptom of a primer backed out I know of is a light load ???

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well, I now know that the headspace is fine. It is the brech block face that needs to be reworked. I went to a gunsmith that I know and we looked at the breech block and saw that the primer indention look just like the breech face. who knew