THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    300 win mag : 77.5gr 4831sc (165Accubond) too much??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag : 77.5gr 4831sc (165Accubond) too much??
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a rifle and it came with about 100 rounds of ammo.
300 win mag
165gr Accubond
77.5gr 4831sc (seems like a ton)
I have looked around online and it seems like that load exceeds anything I can find. Any thought?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I am always reluctant to shoot anyone else's reloads I find no problem with that powder charge.

The latest Nosler manuals are so busy trying new powders that they do not show H 4831 load for the 300 Win Mag.

However, a quick look at the Sierra reloading manual shows a max load for H 4831 using a 165 grain bullet as being 81.5 grains.

The latest Speer manual shows a maximum load for 165 grain bullets as being 77 grains.

So, that load would seem to be right up there, but not excessive. Talk to the guy who sold it to you, did he shoot these loads with no problems?

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was looking at hodgdons and they had it as 2 grs hot. The guy that I bought it from bought it from a friend who shot it often. I will throw on the welding gloves and full face shield and give it a go Smiler

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally NEVER shoot anybody's reloads. You don't KNOW that it's loaded with 77.5 grs. of H-4831sc or that it's really H-4831 sc. To each their own tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Bear on this one. The loads might be perfectly safe. But these are loads that the guy you bought the gun from didn't load. Came from a guy he bought the gun from. He got them from where???? Loaded them??? Bought them at a gun show???? Came with the gun when he bought it from soneone else????

If it were me I'd pull the bullet dump the powder and then use your own 4831 and work back up to that load. If it is accurate great. You are out a little over a pound of powder and you know what you have.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bear and Ramrod. Third hand reloads. You're asking for trouble. Pull the bullets and dump them. It's not worth it to save a couple bucks.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear you guys tell me that, but it is better than posting messages with just my left hand. It sucks because there are around 100 of the things! killpc