Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 Reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Well, tried out my first "hunting" reloads in my 1895gs today. 300 grain Rem HP behind 56.5 grains of H4198 is a great combination. Around 2250-2300 fps I'm thinking in my short barrel. I had heard horror stories of guns taking forever to find a load to shoot. As soon as I got my gun sighted in with the load, it shot all bullets touching at 110 yards. I got it sighted in off a Lead Sled, but shot groups and minute adjustments off sandbags. Recoil was pretty harsh, but I don't think I ever flinched. I did bounce the scope off my face though, for the first time ever. Luckily it didn't hit hard. We scooted back to 200, and another stroke of good luck, the point where the crosshairs thin down on my 3x9 Tracker is dead on at 200. With this large aiming point I shot a 3.5 inch group, with all shots centered around the bull. Hopefully all my future reloads shoot this well!

Also, my 405 grain cast bullets at 800 fps shoot at about the same POI at 100 yards. Must have some funky barrel vibration there, but I'm fine with having light practice loads! Now to go ice my shoulder.. thumb

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote