New
Find
Notify
Tools

rusty dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was given a few sets of dies from an old guy the other day and they look a little rusty, inside and out.
They are RCBS dies and I hate to buy new if I can recondition these.
Is there any way I can remove the rust so I can use them?

The rust is hit and miss all around the outside and in vertical streaks on the inside.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

oct71

Posts: 35 | Location: Boulder,Wy | Registered: 04 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with putting them in the tumbler, take them apart first of course.

Zero

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they don't clean up, send them back to RCBS. They
will probably just replace them. The size die is the
only one that is critical. Just send it back.
They have replaced a number of size dies for me
thar had been abused before I got them.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little Flitz on a snug fitting rag. Wrap it around a wooden dowel and put it in a drill. If it is only surface rust and no pitting they will clean up sweet. I do this to new dies. It slicks them up great. I have used an old chamber mops on a piece of cleaning rod. 0000 steel wool will also work. Make sure you clean them out really good afterwards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply bath disassembled die(s) in an heating Ultrasonic Cleaner with Brownell's Steel White Rust Remover (to 120 degrees F). Guaranteed 100% rust removal.

Next soak components in water displacing oil in accordance to requirements.

Inspect inside of the die(s). If pits remain, die is unusable.

Good luck.

BR, Alex

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
who is Rusty, and how did he die?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you guys keep your dies from rusting,,,real humid here,,,,,

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the question is....how do you keep rusty from dying?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

How do you guys keep your dies from rusting,,,real humid here,,,,,

I'm about 20 miles inland from the Atlantic coast and we have triple digit humidity readings here, also. Like my firearms, I keep my dies in the house and oil them from time to time.

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

who is Rusty, and how did he die?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can coat the dies lightly with RIG preservative grease and wrap in rust inhibiting paper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After you clean up the dies, if there is any "stain" left on the outside blue them. Looks cool

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Fairly new product called Evaporust, and it works great. Got some at the Tulsa Gunshow and it will remove rust without harming the steel. Check locally or search online maaybe....

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 7x57's that got wet and rusted badly, they even pitted some. I continued to use them and it didn't make a bit of difference, the seating die is still brown at the base. I've probably shot up 2000 rounds since they rusted up. It seems like one of those things you don't like the looks of, but really doesn't affect the function.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been putting a little gun oil on a small rag and lightly oiling the inside between uses then wiping them out real well before use. Is the imperial wax a rust imhibitor? Thats what I'm using for lube.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been putting a little gun oil on a small rag and lightly oiling the inside between uses then wiping them out real well before use. Is the imperial wax a rust inhibitor? Thats what I'm using for lube.