New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fav loads for 1-in-12 .244 Rem?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sounds to me like you are one lucky guy, you had better go buy some lottery tickets!

To get a 244 Remington Model 725 is a find indeed. I have always wanted one since I grew up shooting a Remington Model 722 in 244 Remington. I came real close one day, as I walked into a local gun store as guy was paying for one off the used rack. He paid a whopping $200 for that gun. Man, I would have bought it in a hearbeat!

AND, with the groups you are getting , I am not sure what more you could ask. That gun is shooting quite well, indeed. Those 90 grain Speer's you are shooting are a much overlooked bullet. I killed several deer with them.

But, you wanted some other pet loads. I have a custom rifle based on a Remington 700 that wears a heavy Shilen SS barrel and sits in a McMillan custom stock. It has a 6.5 X 20 Leupold and a Jewell trigger. I purposely had it made up with a 1 in 12 twist just like my old .244 Remington, even though it is stamped 6mm Remington.

For all around varminting, my favorite load is 47.5 grains of IMR 4831 behind a Sierra 80 grain Blitz. This bullet has a good ballistic coeficient and is highly accurate. It's performance on ground squirrels, prairie dogs, coyotes, etc. has been great. The longest shot I made with it was on a prairie dog at 752 yards. (Groups with this load are about a half inch.)

But for shear accuarcy, try some loads with the Sierra 70 grain Matchking. When loaded with 48 grains of H 4350, this bullet will shoot honest to God quarter inch five shot groups in my rifle at 100 yards.

All these loads use W-W cases and a Federal 210M primer.

I do not use this gun to hunt deer or anything much bigger than coyotes just because it is so darned heavy. In some areas where I hunt there is the chance of running into a wild pig, though. Just in case I carry a few loads in my pocket that consist of a 100 grain Hornady round nose loaded over 43 grains of H 4831. This load only gives about 2800 fps but also groups about a half inch.

Sounds like you are going to have fun.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Have a "new-to-me" Rem M-725 which will repeatedly shoot in 0.6s with 75 gr Hornady FBHP and 42.0 IMR 4320 (5-shot groups, 100 yards).

Will also put 90 gr. Nosler Partitions (46.0 surplus 4350) and 90 gr. Speers (42.0 Tu5000) under an inch. Rifle has an inexpensive Redfield 4X-12X variable on it.

Might do even better, but I was using up some approx 70-75 year-old Winchester primers I bought locally about nine years ago for $3 per thousand from an estate sale....

Do any of you have any favorite loads you'd care to share for the .244 with a 1 turn-in-12" twist?

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my 244 ackley improved likes an 87 gr hornandy with 45 grains of imr 4831.this may be hot for your standard chamber,but it is quite mild in the improved chamber,so be careful.It produces 2900 fps in my 20" barrel.I can load another 5 grs for a max of 50,but it is not as accurate.(I think 45 gr is close to max for a standard 244)
It also prefers flat base bullets to boattails and likes heavier (87 gr) over lighter(75 gr).My gun is an old sako,and has what looks like a micro groove barrel,perhaps explaining the preference for certain bullets and weights.

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
JB, & R Flowers -

Thanks very much for your comments/data. I've always liked the M725. Am still hoping to find one in .222 and another in .280 Rem. I too had a M722 .244 back in 1963 or so, and it was a splendid shooter. It really liked 100 gr RN bullets with 47 grs. of the original Hodgdon 4831, and liked the same powder charge with a bullet which Nosler's daughter-in-law insisted they had never made when I asked to buy some more (but of which I shot about 900 and gave about 100 to a friend in Calgary, who could attest to its one-time existance...) the 85 gr. 6 m/m Partition.

The .244/6mm may just be one of those cartridges which has a natural "balance" to its loads, so it is easy to make shoot well...I bought a new B-78 6mm in 1974 while on vacation in Honolulu, and it would shoot 1/2 MOA all the way out to 300 yards with the 85 gr. Sierra HPBTs.

Thanks again guys...will have to give those 70-gr MKs a try.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh but the 100 grn Hornady RN (when you can find them) shoot well. Try 44 grains of AA4350 for 3003 fps in a 22 inch barrel. Also the 70 grn Ballistic tip and the 85 gn HPBT Sierra and the 60 grain HP by Sierra all using IMR 4350.
Careful though it seems the hotter they are loaded the better thay shoot so no recommendation here.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote