New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rel 22 = Norma MRP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if these two powders are one and the same, I see that the cannister for Rel 22 states Made in Sweeden and I am certain I read a little while ago that they were the same?

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used MRP for years. When I couldn't get it any longer I changed to RL22. While I found the burn rate to be close. I couldn't just substitute. You will need to re-workup your loads.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search, but someone recently posted an article or letter he got from Alliant about the powders being made by Bofors in Sweden, where it basically stated the equivalent Norma Powders as Bofors made the powders for both companies....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the letter that is referred to in the Norma Manual - any good ? thread but the graphic is no longer showing in that thread. The file was originally posted by Richard Saloom and I saved it. Since this letter was written, I believe Norma 203-B has replaced Norma 203.

Originally posted by Richard Saloom with the letter:
This is a copy of the letter sent out by OWS with my copy of Wiederladen. The scribbling on the bottom is mine.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I used MRP for years. When I couldn't get it any longer I changed to RL22. While I found the burn rate to be close. I couldn't just substitute. You will need to re-workup your loads.

Good advice. Notice that the last paragraph of the letter basically says the same thing.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Treat MRP and RL 22 in relation to each other just the same way you would treat one lot of the same powder in relationship to a different lot.

The two are the same spec powder, but the Nobel-Bofors powders seem to vary more than other powders from lot to lot. Therefore, whenever switching from one brand OR lot to another brand or lot you need to re-establish your load. Some lots are so different from others that you may find them unsuitable for a previously established load. This was certainly the case with two lots of Norma 205 that I used years ago.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told by someone who stated they toured the plant that MRP simply holds closer burn rate consistency to the target burn rate and the slightly slow or fast stuff is labled RL22. But you know how 3rd hand goes....

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information

This is more or less what I had heard but it is nice to see it in writing.

Norma powders seemed to have become impossible to locate, certainly in the U.K. I will try substitue loads with Rel 22 starting with a 10% reduction.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Close but no cigar.

Whereas I could not get enough Norma MRP into a 280 case to reach dangerous pressure with a 140gr bullet, (both per "Quickload" data or traditional "pressure signs") such was not the case with Rl 22.

Rl 22 is about as close as I have found, But as ramrod 340 posted, it is not a direct substitute.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Faster
*195 MRP
196 N-560
*197 RL-22
Slower

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Faster
*195 MRP
196 N-560
*197 RL-

That is interesting. I always found that I needed to reduce my MRP loads when using RL22

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It must chap the Swedes' asses that the Finns make much more consistent powder.

Thanks for reprinting that letter Bob. This time I saved it, and will print it out full sized today.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Faster
*195 MRP
196 N-560
*197 RL-

That is interesting. I always found that I needed to reduce my MRP loads when using RL22

That has been my experience too.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
quote:
Faster
*195 MRP
196 N-560
*197 RL-

That has been my experience too.

If you'll reread my comments on MRP vs. RL-22 vs. lot-to-lot variation, you'll understand that it is not the powder number/brand but the LOT that is the variable.

As I stated, I found one lot of Norma 205 several years ago that was so much faster than a lot I had been using in a low expansion ratio chambering that it was completely unsuited to that cartridge/bullet combination.

If you find a lot of RL-22/MRP that does well for you, by all means buy enough of that same lot to last you a significant time, because you MAY not be able to duplicate its performance with a subsequent lot.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote