New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 ULTRA MAG LOAD FOR ANTELOPE
 Login/Join

<hcfd533>
posted
IM GOING TO WYOMING IN SEPT TO HUNT ANTELOPE AND NEED A GOOD 300 ULTRA MAG LOAD. IM SHOOTING A REMINGTON MODEL 700 STAINLESS STEEL LAMINATED STOCK WITH A LEPOULD VARI-X III 4.5-14X40MM AO. I WAS TOLD TO EXPECT A SHOOT FROM 50 TO 350 YARDS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hcfd533,

I have tested alot of loads in my 300 Ultra, in fact enough that it is about to have a new stainless fluted barrel installed. I have tested 150 gr, 165 gr, 180 gr and 200 gr bullets and have learned a few things about this great round.

#1 It will come embarresingly close to the huge 30-378 with all these bullet weights using a 26" barrel. In fact it will do even better then this monster with the lighter bullets often times.

#2 A case this big sould really use a relatively heavy bullet.

#3 Use a slow powder that will nearly fill the case. This can be difficult with lighter bullets because the velocity will be less with the slower powders but with the quicker powders that produce higher velocities, accuracy often fades because of poor load density.

I have driven the 150 gr Ballistic Tips(coated) to well over 3700 fps. The 165 gr Ballsitic Silvertips to nearly 3600 fps.

My favorite load for any game I would hunt with my 300 Ultra, from pronghorn to elk is with the 180 gr Ballistic Silvertip loaded over 100.0gr H-1000 and lit with a Fed-215M primer. This load is quite a bit over the listed loads so start with printed starting loads and work up slowly. I have loaded higher then this load and driven the 180 gr pills to 3450 fps with good results. This somewhat lighter load produces an even 3400 fps with 1/2" three shot groups. Sighted in correctly, it will hit a pronghorn from 0 to 400 yards without aiming off hair.

May be more horse power then needed for prairie goats but the 300 Ultra is what it is, load it as such and it will serve you well.

Remember that no matter what bullet you use, use one that expands very quickly for pronghorn. A big buck will not be much thicker then a big coyote, heavier but not alot thicker. To stout of a bullet will not work well. The Ballistic Tips are about as good as they come for these fun to hunt big game animals.

Good Luck!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thinking about a 125 gr at unheard of speeds should just knox them over.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You are so over-gunned it is a crime...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
150 sierra game king,96 gr. RL22 goes 3650 and shoots about the best from my 700 BDLSS.
should explode an antelope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Overgunned? I don't think so. It's all relative.I don't know the numbers offhand, but I'll bet that the 300 Ultra turns up the same energy at 400 yards as the 30-06 does at 100,given the same bullet.So,..if you shoot a pronghorn with a 30-06 at 100 yards...are you overgunned?But if you shoot one at 400 yards with a 300 Ultra you are overgunned? I don't get it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I take antelope every year, at ranges from 75 yards to 704 yards.

I use a 6mm Remington with an 85 grain bullet for the ones under 350 yards, and a .25-06 with a 120 grain bullet for those past the 350 yard mark...

Antelope are very small animals and not tough at all. Their defense is their speed...not their heavy bodies or bones.

(I have even taken antelope at 100 yards with a .22-250 and a 52 grain bullet...so a 300 Ultra Mag is over-gunned.)

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For shooting at extended ranges I'd go with the 200 gr. bullets..trajectory is not the problem, it'll be the wind that gets you....and the 200 gr. will not tear them up like the lighter bullets will......No such thing as being overgunned IF you use the correct bullet...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray is right, use the heavier bullets if you don't want to blow the pronghorn in two. I know that velocity is attractive with the 150 grainers but man I bet they will damn near destroy a pronghorn. The first time I went out to Wyoming on a pronghorn/mule deer hunt, I used a .300 Win mag and was shooting a 150 gr. handload. Man the exit wound was horrific. The shot was taken at 227 yds. The second time I used a .25-06 with a 90 gr. handload. Same result, large exit wound. I'd stick with the heavier bullet to avoid excessive meat damage.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 90 grains of IMR 7828, Federal 215, Nosler 200 grain Partition - I have the same rifle and scope as you describe, work up to this load in your rifle; this load shows no excessive pressure in my rifle - make sure your brass is consistent in all areas (length, neck wall thickness) and this load is quite accurate. I agree with the idea of avoiding lighter (<200 grain) bullets with this cartridge.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If all you care about is horns, then it doesn't matter what bullet you use. if yo plan on eating any of the critter, use a 200 grain at least. As Elmer used to say, you want more meat than what you can wipe off the bullet!!

<bigcountry>
posted
Wow, fiftydriver, how in the world did you get up to 100gr of H1000 with 180gr bullet? I saw pressure signs at 96g. Your speeds are cooking. I think with the 1 in 10 twist these guns come in usually, the 180-200gr bullets work the best. As far as meat damage, me and elde have had this conversation before. If you hit the animal broadsided thru both lungs, I don't care if you use 240gr bullets, you won't have any meat damage. Unless you hit it square in the arse or shoulder. I would use the bullet that shoots the best out of the gun. Unfortuneately, the best bullet out of mine is 180gr Nosler Pt. My least favorite bullet for these speeds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would almost blow it in half though. If it will black bear with 150's, I'm sure it would these alot easier. How much meat is in this area I don't know, but it will be blown out the other side and that's fact.

One bear I seen shot was even quartering away up the hill and the ballistic tip went in the shoulder and exited the off side of his face. It took the lower jaw and the right side of his head comletely off! The 300 Ultra and 150 BT's are brutal. I've never seen this NOT happen with that combo.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load it into the car and drive it to the next gun show. While there, trade it in on a 257 Wby. [Big Grin] Just kidding! If you're a one gun hunter, that's one heck of a round.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Christ dude they a the size of a God damn collie.

You ain't gonna get much meat off of em in the first place so there is no need to ruin what little there is. From that gun just about anything in the right place is going to put them down promptly. I would opt for a good 180 bullet, even a Partition or something that is going to stick together and still offer acceptable expansion. You can go with the lighter weights but at that velocity, you are going to lose half the animal.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as overkill! Use what you like... I do. I have shot 3 lopers with the 300 RUM and 180 Sciroccos at 3250 fps. Works well. Never involved in a Law suit for using a big rifle on them either! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
330 Dakota, 215 gr. Sierra SP, 8X.X gr/4350 for 3287 and sub MOA groups. SD winds do not move this bullet very far off the target.

Wastes no meat and they drop when hit. Of course, Texas heart shots are a no no, that's a given.

<bigcountry>
posted
You know for all of you guys claiming meat damage, I recommend not shooting them in the hind quarters or near the spine or neck. Just in case you don't know, there is a area about the size of a pie plate behind the front shouldes. This is where you should be aiming. If you hit broadsided in this area, you should pentrate both lungs and if lucky the heart. And guess what, no meat damage or not much. If concerned about all this meat damage, go to your local slaughter house and ask the manager if you can shoot a cow in the head point blank. Scratch that, you would hate to waste the brain material. [Smile]