New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget v H4895
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a load of H4895 left over from another calibre and having recently acquired a 243(20"), I decided use the powder up.
38.5 is grouping .46"@ 100y with 75g Hornady H/Pts.
Is there anything to be gained by going to Varget,which everybody raves about?
Rob T.

[ 07-06-2003, 03:00: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Rob, I've used both in my 6mm Rem. with the same bullet, and for all practical purposes, they work the same, I've actually got my best groups with H4895 in my 6mm, but I've worked more with that powder, also. They work the same for my 708, H4895 is an excellent powder. Jay

[ 07-03-2003, 23:42: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you apparently don't have access to a chronograph, there's no way to say whether switching powders will provide you with any velocity advantage.

However, I'd say that any load that groups under a half an inch in a sporter rifle SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, man, be happy with your 4895!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob T;

When Varget came out, I tried some. I got excellent results. However nothing was an improvement on H 4895 in any application.

After looking at Data on it, Just for my own personal out look, since Varget is sold as one of Hodgdons Non Temperature Sensitive powders...... I personally think it is just H 4895 with some sort of additional additive to make in NON temperature sensitive.

Load data is practically identical, looks identical. If you own a chrony and you load Varget data, using H 4985 powder, the velocity is what is listed for the VArget. I think it is just marketing. Why keep a powder by just improving it, when you can take an old powder, give it an additive,, Market it as a new powder ( Varget), while still selling the original powder 4895, which had a long loyal following? So now you have two solutions on the shelf to sell instead of one! Just my HUmble opinions.

( Duck! Incoming!!!)

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
...any load that groups under a half an inch in a sporter rifle SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, man, be happy with your 4895!

Hey Rob, Don't loose that exact Load. By that, I mean check the "Lot #s" on the H4895, the Primers and bullets too. Then go lay in a supply of the same ones if at all possible.

Also measure the overall Length of your Seating Die(from the tip of the stem to the bottom of the Die) and record that along with the Load. This method will provide better repeated Seating Accuracy than measuring the Overall Cartridge Length due to variations in individual Bullet length.

Then once you have that Load where you can reload it at will, try some of the other Powders if you desire. Unlike Seafire, I've found Varget to be slightly slower in burning rate than H4895, in my firearms. That doesn't mean he is wrong in what he saw though.

Loads vary slightly from firearm to firearm. Each firearm prefers a Load tuned specifically for it. Obviously you found one combination your rifle really likes.

By the way, good shooting on your part too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Both powders are 'EXTREME' powders, so they're not sensitive to Temp. changes, and I'm noticing in my 708 data from Sierra that Varget takes about 2 grains (or more) than 4895, but in other applications they're very close to each other. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
The rifles I have tried Varget in allways had a certain "sweet spot" with this powder, meaning that one charge weight would provide for good accuracy but moving as little as half a grain either way would cause groups to spread way out. Ihave seen this with other load combos but it was allways the rule with Varget rather than the ocasional exception.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies ,all of of them are spot on.
I can tell from the quality of your text you are all decicated lads that keep accurate records of your work.
I have also have noticed with H4895 a 'sweetspot'and half a grain either way opens the group.
I will not look a gifthorse in the mouth and will stick to the 75g load.
I'm going for the 87g load next with the same powder. 37g groups an inch but I think I can tighten that up.
I have never thought of measuring the seating die but what a superb idea.
Thanks seafire for your input , your educated yet provocative replies always flog a dead horse into life.
We should all book a cheap holiday in Spain,send the women shopping and drink , eat and talk shooting.
It would be a lot more pleasant than me typing away in this cold godforsaken country.(I sholdn't say that the shooting is very good)
Thanks Rob T.

[ 07-06-2003, 06:36: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote