New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireform wildcat with reloading die???
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
I could swear there was an article in a gun mag a year or two ago [possibly Varmint Hunter] detailing how to use an FL wildcat reloading die to fireform brass. I believe it involved the cereal method, but don't recall the particulars. I hope I am not dreaming. I could swear I glanced at such an article. Can anyone shed light on the use of reloading dies to fireform? I intend to fireform .20 Hornet brass, so we are talking a pretty small cartridge.

Thanks,

Jordan

<JoeM>
posted
Yes,
I can, but please use this info at your own risk. I dont know if we read the same article but here goes.

The gentleman I read about had speical die made up in the same shape as his chamber.

This die was made in two mating parts. One had the "chamber" if you will, the other had a recess in the top of it, and a small hole in the bottom.

What happened was he threaded the top portion into a durable press, using a little over half the thread available on the press, and upside down. Then he made up a cream of wheat load with a plug of soap or something and dropped this in. Then inserted the other half of the die in the remaining threads of the press, snugged down, took a punch and hammer and shot the thing off.

He claimed good results.

I give you this info to use, I have not tried this. I dont warrant it. It is just a little frightening.

Although I have seen presses on Ebay, older models that actually had a firing pin accessory with them.

posted Hide Post
Jordan,
I did not read the article you refer to, so I can't confirm this premise. There might be a way to form the wildcat using hydraulic pressure, but it would probably be a complicated set-up.

BTW, a primer alone will not fireform brass; a small charge of fast-burning powder in conjunction with a filler will do it, as will a 'starting load' for the wildcat or a 'medium load' for the parent cartridge with the appropriate bullet seated a bit into the lands.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I think Jack Belk has some sort of fire forming contraption that ressembles dies and has a funny bolt face...I'm not sure though. You might try sending him a message.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bite. There was an article describing the method using a reloading press in the Varmint Hunter about a year ago. I'm not sure which issue but I remember the article so start digging, you are not dreaming. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rocky Gibbs used to market a device that attached to your sizing die that established headspace and provided support. You filled your case with light hydraulic fluid, capped it off in the die and inserted a plunger. A few smacks with a heavy hammer formed the case hydraulically.
I've made these parts from Rocky's drawings and tried it. It works, but it's messy. If you're forming something like a .300 H&H into an AI, you'll be giving it quite a few smacks. Don't try this wearing a nice shirt!
'puck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I spoke to an gunsmith who makes cases in a very funny way. He uses the fl die for the caliber and has an action that is threaded for reloading die. Cases are loaded with a light load and plugged with corn flour and wax plugg. The rounds is fired in a big bucket. Since the decaping rod is taken out the flour and wax plugg lands in the bucket. I have not tried this, but i should work if you know what you are doing.

/ JOHAN