New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Rem and 85 gr Sierra Varminter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody shooting the sierra 85gr Varminter with success? (Seafire?). I have a 700 Rem Mountain and want something light and fast for "crittering". I am looking at win 760 but thought I would ask. I do love my 260 Skinney Barrel, but, keeping the barrel cool can be an issue. thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot that a bit in a ar format. used 760 but i don't remember the load. was a nice accurate bullet that caused great discomfort in crats

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra reloading manual has a ton of info on the 260 loads. I have been using this bullet on coyotes and foxes for a couple of winters now.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eurocentric
I have a lyman 49, a hodgens, several pre 260 hornady's, speers, etc. I know where the hodgdens site is. I was just looking to see if anybody was actually shooting the 85gr varminteer for coyotes, foxes, turkeys etc. I have maybe 7 powder options and ten load options in this weight. It looks like I can push it to near 3500 fps. I don't think I will run it that hot. Again, I am leaning towards the win 760 because of the slightly lower pressures at high velocity.
Thanks to all who answered... rc

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Very accurate in my 1-8, 260ai w/ VV150 @ 3400fps+. I haven't taken any critters w/ it yet, but it should do a great job downrange.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a final on the 85 gr Sierra in my Rem 700 with a 1:9 factory skinny barrel. I ended up with 47.0 gr of WIN 760. It shoots sub moa with the CCI LR primers, but, for me even better with the CCI LR BR's. (Not sure it's worth my BRs for the improvement, just sure they are a bit tighter groups consistantly.) I LIKE this load. It is now my go to for this bullet. thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Day late and a dollar short on this.. sorry I didn't see it until now..

if I need velocity, then it is IMR 4064, about 44 to 45 grains... gives an MV of 3500 fps..in a 22 inch barrel.

one I use a lot tho, is 30 grains of RL 7, or H322 or RL 10, or IMR 4198...

all are light recoiling, in the 2800 t0 300 fps range.. point of impact close to what it is with big game bullets..

good off season load, but don't sell it short on its ability to take antelope sized game very easily...velocity is down enough, that the bullets are not explosive..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes has a banded solid in 110 gr that is unbelievable for long range sniping too. Like electrocuting a coyote!

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I had been following your 30 gr load with RL-7 last November. We ended with check back in the spring. Your November post was about using a 30gr RL-7 load across a variety of 6.5 bullets. I want to re-establish that thread because it was interesting in it's apparent consistancy. Also because I have a fair amount of RL-7 for my 45-70. It would be good to use some in my 260 as well if it is functional. thanks rc

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
I'm getting .5" 5 shot groups from my M700 with 24" barrel (3394 f/s) using VV-N150 and CCI-BR2 primers.

Jim