New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Sizing Die Recommendations.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lee ,Redding or RCBS ? I need to replace my Lee N/S die and would appreciate any feedback. It's for 308 Win. I use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder. It's for an Enfield #4 mk1.
thanks rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
With any other kind of neck sizing die other than the Lee Collet Neck Sizer or the Redding Type S Bushing Style Neck Sizing you would be going back to the expander ball. I use the Lee Collet with good success. The Redding Bushing Style is much more expensive.

Why do you need to replace the Lee you have?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee die I currently use must have been a Monday or Friday job.It will work beautifully for a while , then it will crush several cases before reverting to working properly. It is impossible to dismantel so I can't pull it apart.Enough of this shit.Reloading is meant to be fun.Shooting was designed for frustration!
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Are the cases all the same length from the base to the shoulder? Sounds like maybe not. The die should either work or not once adjusted.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All cases are Winchester once fired and sized in a redding body die.
rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you've already got a Redding body die, I would get a Redding Type-S bushing neck sizing die. Those two together are all you need.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Redding sizer with the bushings is what I use and highly reccomend.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use Lee Collet dies for a number of cartridges and have never had any problems with them even with extensive use.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I use Redding S bushing dies and have had no problems. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
LEE really stands behind their products, I would send it back, I know thay will make good on it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robz:
The Lee die I currently use must have been a Monday or Friday job.It will work beautifully for a while , then it will crush several cases before reverting to working properly. It is impossible to dismantel so I can't pull it apart.Enough of this shit.Reloading is meant to be fun.Shooting was designed for frustration!
rob

Rob,I don't mean to be insulting or anything but the fault has to be somewhere other than the die. Once it is set up properly it can't change settings and then go back. You are either short stroking the press or at times not getting the die screwed down tight to the press body. You might have a problem with brass length as has already been mentioned. What you do not have is a die that changes settings and then goes back. Examine your set up real closely and I'll bet you find something out of whack somewhere.
If you do decide to go with another brand I would go with the Redding "S" which has already been mentioned several times. Whenever I buy dies Redding gets the nod. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO one mentioned them...

Hornady makes some nifty neck sizing dies, that are just bore specific.. like 6.5 mm for instance...

you can adjust it for a 260 or 264 Win Mag.. and about every 6.5 mm in between.. they are about $15.00....

I usually hate Hornady loading dies.. but they have a winner here...

in several, like 30 caliber, they have a short 30 cal neck die and a long 30 cal neck die...

pretty slick...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there Enfield #4 mk1s in .308?

I have and Ishapore 2A1 in .308.
I have some #4 mk1s in 303 Brit.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote