Picture of Kenati
posted
High Neck Tension vs. Crimping w/ Collet

Cal: .280 Rem. Ackley Imp.
Bullet: 140 gr. Northfork
Brass: Norma
Rifle: Rem. M700

---BACKGROUND---
Purpose: HUNTING! (sorry to yell, but I want to emphasize that this is not a target rifle that will be fed by hand one cartridge at a time)

I use an arbor press and Wilson hand dies because:
1. They make very concentric rounds
2. Load development at the range is much easier using hand dies.

---PROBLEM---
Since this is hunting ammunition, it will be:
� bounced around in ammunition boxes
� tossed into pouches or pockets
� slammed into the chamber
� Most importantly, it�s nose will be smashed because of the poor design of Remington�s magazine box.

---QUESTION---

Since I use bushing-style dies, would it be better to:

1. Increase the neck tension using a smaller diameter bushing?
Or

2. Should I use a Lee collet crimping die?

I know that sizing too small can overwork the brass, but honestly, I don�t use these rounds as practice ammunition and they don�t see enough action for that to be a concern.

Thank you!

Michael

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use and like the Lee Factory Crimp die. It works well and holds the bullet in place with or without a cannelure. I shoot heavy recoiling rifles and this die does an excellent job of holding the bullet in place and it usually makes it more accurate too. I recommend you try one, you will like it. Easy to use too.

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Think of the neck as you do a rubber band. After you stretch it when seating a bullet, the brass will stretch and will take a "set". The bullet in effect sizes the neck again. Increasing the neck tension won't do much after a short period of time. I have no experience with the crimp dies and don't use them except on pistol rounds, but in them the amount of crimp has significant impact on accuracy. If using a bullet with a cannelure it should have some impact on accuracy, whether good or bad is questionable. I've never seen much effect with age or "banging" ammo around through the years. I do mine with bushing dies, usually to yield a .002" grip on the bullet, and that's what I'll continue doing. You may be worried about a problem that doesn't exist.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee factory crimp dies are the way to go. I ended up buying them for almost all my reloading. Heavy recoiling rifles need a good crimp that will not distort the case necks.Trim length variations,of a few thousands, are not as important.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote