Find
Notify
Tools

FYI--New Die Life
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Gradually over the years the 7mm X 57mm die has aquired to much galling. Insertion and extraction have become a chore. This morning it became time to revitalize the die.
It was first cleaned. Using a rag wrapped bottle brush and 1000 grit lapping compound. The entry of the die to a 1/2" or so was lapped. The brush was frist rotated clockwize for 5 minutes, than counterclockwise for 5 minutes. After that the die received short stroking with the brush,rag, 1000 grit for 5 minutes.

After the die was cleaned it got the same treatment with Colgate tooth paste.

The result was the galling is not noticeable and the insertion and extraction are EZ. clap

The date on this RCBS die is "54" but I think I bought it in around "61". It is still kept in it's original cardboard box. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A little Flitz and 0000 steel wool does wonders, too. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
A new sizing die would have been cheaper.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Every now and then something’s are worth saving despite their age or the costs. Particularly if the labor is free. Smiler

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger I have had a die do that a few times and I have bought a couple of dozen used dies that scratched my brass a little. Also bought a set of used .35 Remington dies that were rusted so bad I thought they would have to be junked.
In an earlier century I worked in machine shop and made lots of thing on an engine lathe.
From that experience I found the following works if you have access to a lathe.
Use light oil such as gun oil or WD-40 with 400 to 500 grit silicon carbide paper. Spin the die at about 600 RPM and use a wood dowel to help apply a little pressure. Carefully clean the polished die out. Takes about 2 to 3 minutes at most. I am pretty sure I can polish a die better than the manufactures. This polishing process will even make a decent die out of the really rough old Herter's dies.
I like the markings and font used on the early RCBS dies. The really early ones are dated with a letter date code.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
made lots of thing on an engine lathe.
From that experience I found the following works if you have access to a lathe.
Use light oil such as gun oil or WD-40 with 400 to 500 grit silicon carbide paper. Spin the die at about 600 RPM and use a wood dowel to help apply a little pressure. Carefully clean the polished die out. Takes about 2 to 3 minutes at most. I am pretty sure I can polish a die better than the manufactures. This polishing process will even make a decent die out of the really rough old Herter's dies.

Before I retired I would have done just about as you indicate. Since than ,however, I no longer have easy access to a lath and things get done with a little more elbo grease and enginuity.

After the 7x57 was done I remembered that the last time I did this it was with a sloted jag and a tight fitting rag and the compounds.

And no ,Frank, I'm not going to buy a new die and give you my old one. moonroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a set of hexagon shank threaded adapters would sell. It would only take 3 or 4 common thread sizes to permit folks to polish their dies with an electric drill

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had several like that, some I bought used like that. I just strip them down to the bare die body, and send them back to RCBS. They just send a complete new die in return. That is part of their lifetime waranty.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a standard RCBS F/L sizing die for .30-06 that really drags the expander ball out of the neck. As much as I hate to, I have to put some heavy lube in the neck to keep them from stretching/squealing when drawing the ball out.

I have removed and attempted to polish the expander ball, but am not a whiz on polishing, "It feels smooth" Roll Eyes

What would you recommend trying to get this thing freed up? Just call RCBS about a new ball?

Thought I should add: sometimes brass has been freshly tumbled and prepped, sometimes it has just been cleaned by hand and nothing but a neck brush run into it, if it makes a difference.

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieHo:
What would you recommend trying to get this thing freed up? Just call RCBS about a new ball?

Yes unless you get better at polishing. Mount it on your drill press and use something like a fine Arkansas stone. You do not have to press to hard or want to for that matter. Bevel the radial edge at the end of the expander that screws on to the stem. popcornroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, What do you think caused the Galling to begin with? Confused

I would have thought your normal Lube (Bardohl?) would have kept that from ever getting started.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i USE A FLAPPER.
1/4" rod 6" long turned to fit the dremmel collet-- end is split on a band saw about 1/2"
use 600 emery takes about 30seconds remove the emrey and wrap a piece of shop towel around the flapper apply semi chrome polish and polish. dies are slick as snot.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote