Find
Notify
Tools

Re: bore cooling fan - good idea (????)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
As diving instructor, with a long experience in charge diving air cylinders, I always see a problem when the air blown in the barrel solution is suggested: the humidity condensation generated by the compression and expansion of the air.

I prefer the opposite solution to suck up the air thru the barrel from the muzzle. No concentrated humidity air sent in the barrel.
It is better IMVHO.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That walmart air blower that I suggested will also work as a vacuum if you attach the hose to the other end of it. Just FYI.

<9.3x62>
posted
I do most of my load development in the fall, winter, and spring. I mostly shoot for fun in the summer - revolvers and shotguns mostly. The way I see it, the majority of my hunting (so far) has been in fall or winter-like conditions, so I prefer to develop loads in a comparable climate. It is amazing how much faster a rifle barrel will cool in a brisk fall day compared to a hot summer day. In winter I take a thermos of hot chocolate, a few disposable hand warmers, and some warm clothes (no PAST pad needed), and it is all good. To keep warm, I walk to the target very often as I am usually the ONLY one at the range - quite pleasant actually.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Furor,
thank you, I don't know walmart air blower and my suggestion was based on my experience. During an air cilinder recharge if air is humid it can be clean a table spoon of water from the filters of the air compressor. Ad at the end of the diving summer season a cylinder can contain a glass of water even if the filters have been carely cleaned during the cylinders charging.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
A lot of good ideas with a shared problem here.

I like the idea of moving ambiant (sp?) air through the bore, but I'm not coming up with any practical solution. Actually caught myself looking at a Black & Decker 12V leaf blower. Then I pictured myself at the public range that I use, giving a blowjob to my rifle with a leaf blower, and decided that was a bit over the top.

So until somebody comes up with something more reasonable, I'll have to try some of these other ideas involving cooled liquids.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Liquid nitrogen's cheap at welding supply stores.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote