Notify
Tools

RL 22 in .300WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

ANyone using RL22 in .300WSM behind a 180 grn bullet?

Just got back from the range and am using 68 grns behind 180 grn BT with fantastic accuracy but am concerned I will not be getting the velocity.

I don't need masses of velocity but recoil was mild even though I am only .5 grn below max load.

Just wondered of anyone else is using RL 22 and if so what kind of velocities are being attained?

I, by mistake left the cronny at home.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up with a 180gr Partition to 69grs of RL-22 with Fed 215M Primers. In a 24" model 70 I was getting about 2950fps.
In another rifle with a 26" barrel using 180gr TSX's I used a tad more powder and got just over 3000fps.
I think that the best idea is to use the chronograph and quit if you go over 3000fps with barrels 24" and shorter..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 65 grains of RL-22 in my 300WSM using Sierra 180 grain MatchKing bullets set about .020 inches off the lands. I have chronographed this load at just a red hair over 2900 fps. My best group with this load is .254 inches at 100 yards. Barrel is a custom-contour (like the heavy end of a pool cue) Krieger of 29 inches with a 1:10 twist.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks DJ and Homebrewer

That is just the sort of info I was looking for.

The rifle is a Sako 85 and it is the first time I have carried out a "proper" range session with it. The first load I tried was 68 grns of RL22 and it put 3 rounds into a near clover leaf. I let it cool down fully and then try again - it put the next 3 rounds into a near cloverleaf. I haven't measured the groups properly yet but they are both sub half. I would saysomething in the .3's to .4's

I was hoping I would get half decent velocity and it now looks as though I might. I am not after "Win Mag" performance as I didn't but this rifle to compete with a win mag. I was looking to get somewhere between 30-06 and win mag performance so anything around the 2900's is perfect.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote